NFR Wa Shut Down

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Certainly ordering take out IS helping a small business in tough times. But its simply not essential. How is that any different from getting a tank of gas from our local c store? How is that any different than ordering a couple of leaders and some flies from your local shop (ours has curbside pickup now)? Those things also support a small business in tough times.
We got takeout from our favorite (new) small European Bistro on the way home from our Costco "senior day" trip yesterday, and I ordered tippet and hooks online from a local fly shop to replace what I lost on a big grab and decorated several trees with during last Monday's trip.

KerryS

Ignored Member
WFF Supporter
I ordered a new wax ring for the master bath toilet that started leaking this morning from a local hardware store. They had it ready for me at their freight door. Didn’t have to go inside or get close to anyone. Got my ring, washed my hands with sanitizer and back home to fix the toilet. Probably wash my hands again when I’m done.

GSIEGEL

Pot shops are open because they are a source of tax revenue
Even a pot shop owner on the news last night said as much.

Bad of me I know, but I can't get over the hypocrisy in the name of essential.

If it's all so important to stay home and reduce contacts, Inslee's plan ain't doing it.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Not sure what your thing is... except fishing...but society doesn't need a virus to partake in either. In sure that the intake of both will increase. So far my dog is doing great... instead of one or two runs a day... it's three or four!
My point was, when people have unexpected down time & are told to shelter in place. drinking & drug use is bound to increase

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I ordered a new wax ring for the master bath toilet that started leaking this morning from a local hardware store. They had it ready for me at their freight door. Didn’t have to go inside or get close to anyone. Got my ring, washed my hands with sanitizer and back home to fix the toilet. Probably wash my hands again when I’m done.
Don't bite your fingernails.....

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
No the jist of my argument is that every thing we do has risk. Some things have more risk than others. But to chastise someone for going fishing yet think its ok to go to get take out is hypocritical. Neither of those things is essential to being able to survive this outbreak.

Certainly ordering take out IS helping a small business in tough times. But its simply not essential. How is that any different from getting a tank of gas from our local c store? How is that any different than ordering a couple of leaders and some flies from your local shop (ours has curbside pickup now)? Those things also support a small business in tough times.

The point I have stated several times and I will try once more. NONE of these things are essential. So you think its more ethical and moral to support Joes BBQ by getting takeout than Fred's C store and Jimmy's Fly shop then fine. Just be honest enough to admit that you are rationalizing your viewpoint to justify one vs the other. Admit that none of those things are really essential.
We are only leaving our house in order to pick up take out. My husband traveled less than two miles to get curbside take out last night to support a restaurant that our community loves because the owner is in turn a big supporter of the community.

For us it is essential that we support his business and his employees . (He’s also adding a free roll of toilet paper with every order.) I trust that curbside takeout from this place is safer than Me shopping for many groceries in order to cook a recipe. (Thank goodness for our Blue Apron delivery.)

I imagine most people wanting to fish would have to drive more than a mile and a half to fish.

And how is fishing helping anyone but yourself?

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
Well I had an unplanned event. As I type this someone is fixing my tire while I'm inside the rig. I assume a well meaning elk poacher decided to put some roofing nails in front of the gate to the tree farm and I've got some flats. I carry a compressor so I was able to get to town without touching anything as to preserve some safety for the tire guys. It's weird cause I thought about how I would handle this situation and have been making field trips for work only as needed, alone, and to keep others in work. I'm classed as essential for right or wrong but my risk is low as I'm alone always since the Corona thing. I fill up at a semi private fuel dock and make zero stops. Yet here I am doing my best to not impact others yet I feel a little bad. I would feel like a total chump if I was recreating and this happened. If I find the spike tosser I don't know that I'll be able to distance myself appropriately. A couple game cam and a wait I'm sure will reveal his identity. His motives I'm not sure but what a dick. I've seen this before and in general the motives are piss off the timber company or poaching as you can guarantee alone time and escape if you know any wdfw or security has to cross your spike area. The elk have been hanging out in an odd area like they got pushed around over the last couple days. Something is up now the spikes. They were not there yesterday. I guess be prepared by I hadn't considered this.
At which tree farm and which gate were the nails spread?

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Can you even see your drift boat behind that?
i pull my drift boat behind my fully log'd plumbing van because i 100% pay for and own the van. I get all kind of comments at campgrounds and boat launches, most are amuzed. I am hard to miss in the crown of look a like 4x4 pickups and suvs

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Here is something each of us should think about. Be safe in what you do, the hospital ER doesn't have the time or space to repair an injury caused by inattention, cut fingers, broken legs etc. etc.. The other thing is and this brutal, the old and compromised will have medical people voting on who or which one do they try to save. Life or death could be decided by timing or the flip of a coin. Follow the rules, try to stop the spread, the life you save may be your older family members. I don't know if I'm self quarantined, just hiding out or under house arrest, BUT, it beats the hell out of being in a hospital on life support, IF the staff voted try to save me. At 78 with compromised heart, lungs, diabetes and auto immune condition I already know the vote results.
Would they put a 30 year old homeless drug addicted person who has a trash heap around his camp before you to get much needed ventilator if you were both struggling for your life due to corona virus?

I have thought a lot about this as i drive around on my essential job and view the homeless camps along I-5 near downtown seattle.

I do not have the correct answer, but i know which way i lean.

What is the correct, moral solution in this situation? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Do you get asked to service the restrooms? :)
several times when at forest service camps bewildered or funny campers ask me if there is plumbing in the outhouse, mostly tongue in cheek.

By the way, when i remove all teh big plumbing equipment like my 300lb main line cable machine, there is plenty of room for glamping items. It is a great camping rig. Only downside is lack of 4wd and terrible traction off road.
see my post about getting winched by A tow truck a few weeks ago when trying to park at salt beach access trail.

Zak

Would they put a 30 year old homeless drug addicted person who has a trash heap around his camp before you to get much needed ventilator if you were both struggling for your life due to corona virus?

I have thought a lot about this as i drive around on my essential job and view the homeless camps along I-5 near downtown seattle.

I do not have the correct answer, but i know which way i lean.

What is the correct, moral solution in this situation? Any thoughts would be welcome.
I think the hospitals will need some kind of triage point system set up ahead of time so they aren't voting or making on the spot decisions in each case. I think it is likely to be a point system that takes into account chance of survival, life expectancy if you survive COVID, and how many people depending on you. So, 78 years old, no dependents, and heart disease, cancer or dementia would be a low priority for a ventilator. 25 year old single parent of a 5 year old? High priority. Otherwise healthy 45 year old health care worker? High priority.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts