NFR Wa Shut Down

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Hi Denny,
Try a threader fly box (see https://rivertraditions.com/store/threader-fly-box/). You can load up several flies per threader when you're at home and have access to a magnifier. Plus, the metal threaders push through obscured hook eyes much easier than a leader. This works really well if you already have a good idea of what flies you are likely to use.
They are easy to use. Put your tippet through the diamond-shaped section of the threader. Pull up your fly. The leader will end up in the eye of the fly and ready for your knot.
Steve
wow that looks cool. You have used it and are satisfied?

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
wow that looks cool. You have used it and are satisfied?
Yes, I have. While I typically have separate fly boxes for different patterns, I keep a mix of often-used patterns in this box. I also tend to crowd the hook eye when I tie and the threaders have saved flies that I would have already thrown out in frustration. The threader is especially valuable when you want to tie on that perfect emerger in the half-light of evening when the big fish are really getting active at the surface.

Steve

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
I think the hospitals will need some kind of triage point system set up ahead of time so they aren't voting or making on the spot decisions in each case. I think it is likely to be a point system that takes into account chance of survival, life expectancy if you survive COVID, and how many people depending on you. So, 78 years old, no dependents, and heart disease, cancer or dementia would be a low priority for a ventilator. 25 year old single parent of a 5 year old? High priority. Otherwise healthy 45 year old health care worker? High priority.
I see how this "should" work, but again, it can play unfairly in favor to those born into a silver/gold/platinum spoon family where someone with clout gets a draft deferment for a fake foot issue, while the unlucky average Joe gets sent to war and comes back a mental wreck and lives on the streets.

A really nice perk for serving our country, spit on again from the same "higher ups" who secured those deferments..

No win situation

Last edited:

Steve Birrer

We are only leaving our house in order to pick up take out. My husband traveled less than two miles to get curbside take out last night to support a restaurant that our community loves because the owner is in turn a big supporter of the community.

For us it is essential that we support his business and his employees . (He’s also adding a free roll of toilet paper with every order.) I trust that curbside takeout from this place is safer than Me shopping for many groceries in order to cook a recipe. (Thank goodness for our Blue Apron delivery.)

I imagine most people wanting to fish would have to drive more than a mile and a half to fish.

And how is fishing helping anyone but yourself?
Exactly what I am talking about. You are rationalizing your going take out as essential because you love this restaurant and the owner is a big supporter of the community. Fantastic!!! f

1. Getting take out, no matter how good it is for the future of that business, is NOT essential. Period.
2. Why is that supporting that business anymore essential that supporting the Cstore where you fill up your gas tank. Of the fly shop where you bought a couple of leaders and flies. Or ...or....or....

Now let me set the record straight. I think getting take out from a local restaurant is a very good thing to do. But trying to rationalize that behavior as essential is disengenuous. Is fishing essential? Heck no. But neither are a ton of things people are doing as essential then chastising someone who goes fishing.

O' Clarkii Stomias

I see stories of inspired, inventive, and selfless people that are putting forth innovation, and making financial sacrifice to come up with shortages of medical supplies. I see the stories of those in the medical profession who some of which will make the supreme sacrifice to ease the suffering of others. A lot of what I see here is people taking cheap political shots, and whining about not being able to go fishing. Get over it! Stay home, and STFU!

GSIEGEL

Exactly what I am talking about. You are rationalizing your going take out as essential because you love this restaurant and the owner is a big supporter of the community. Fantastic!!! f

1. Getting take out, no matter how good it is for the future of that business, is NOT essential. Period.
2. Why is that supporting that business anymore essential that supporting the Cstore where you fill up your gas tank. Of the fly shop where you bought a couple of leaders and flies. Or ...or....or....

Now let me set the record straight. I think getting take out from a local restaurant is a very good thing to do. But trying to rationalize that behavior as essential is disengenuous. Is fishing essential? Heck no. But neither are a ton of things people are doing as essential then chastising someone who goes fishing.
If I'm reading this correctly, it's not about fishing. It's about the, some would say, arbitrary and hypocritical application of "essential" in the gov's shutdown orders. If so, I think it's valid.
Whole lotta not staying home happening in the name of "essential", and precious little actually is.

Pescaphile

In Nevada, pot shops have home deliveries now.
I'm here to tell y'all that in all my born days did I ever think that this would happen!
I said, I said, I said never.
There was a time when this would have been a dream come true for me and I suspect a lot of others on this forum. Those days are long gone now for me. It still cracks me up that it's a reality now. :)
I remember telling a friend about 15 years ago that he'd be able to walk in a store and buy a joint legally in ten years or so.

But I never could've forseen that pot shops, espresso stands, take-out or home delivery and liquor stores would be designated as "essential services" in times of a global pandemic.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I’ve seen the argument that it’s unlikely there will be an accident, or breakdown while insisting on going fishing. Well, are you going to stop for gas?... a burrito? There are probably 100 possibilities to catch or spread this thing.
Don’t be a selfish idiot. Man-up and help your community.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter

What don’t you get about his?
EATING IS ESSENTIAL. I have to eat to live. I would rather choose helping a restaurant than risking going to a grocery store, where i think the risk is more, because at any day my parents who are elderly and not in the best health might need me to go over there. I call them every day but it’s not the same as being there if i need to be. And so i want to be careful.

And yes, if i can help a beloved restaurant that makes it all the better.

Entertaining myself by fishing is not essential.

sportsman

What don’t you get about his?
EATING IS ESSENTIAL. I have to eat to live. I would rather choose helping a restaurant than risking going to a grocery store, where i think the risk is more, because at any day my parents who are elderly and not in the best health might need me to go over there. I call them every day but it’s not the same as being there if i need to be. And so i want to be careful.

And yes, if i can help a beloved restaurant that makes it all the better.

Entertaining myself by fishing is not essential.
JoJo, you are so selfish. You could have hoarded pork & beans and spaghetti o's a month ago!!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info