Any tenkara folks out there?

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Yeah, the level flouro seems expensive if you think about it too much. But it's also one of those things that isn't an ongoing cost and you end up getting a lot out of the one purchase. I made myself a couple lines and a friend a couple lines and still have a ton left on the $20 spool I bought.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I'm not bitching about a $20 expenditure for line, that is just mouse nuts compared to the cost of a real fly line. I was just surprised that the tenkara industry had found a way to overprice something as simple as a level string. Okay-an orange level string!

I spend more than that on Trouthunter spools and keep several in reserve. If I do go tenkara I'll probably get a couple of sizes and have enough tenkara line for the rest of my life!

jwg

My 50 m spool of chartreuse 3.5 level line says it's 0.310 mm. Yamamoto brand

So if you can find equivalent colored fuourocarbon line of a conventional brand you could use that.

Jay

jwg

Like perhaps

In say 10 lb

J

jwg

Here is my kit. I wanted a rod for hiking streams in the Sierra. This rod from Tenkarabum worked well for small stream fish as well as larger lake fish caught around the perimeter.

I had considered Sagiri as a smaller rod that would be lively with little fish, but the fellow at Tenkara bum said it would not be good for bead head nymphs, which I wanted to use for plunge pools.

I also considered the Rhodo and Sato zoom rods.

The Tenkarabum Traveler is a rebranded Suntech model, zooms from about 11 to 13 feet, beautiful workmanship.

The very light plastic tube was super cool, and I could get fishing in streams off the trail very fast, and pack back up very fast.

I had too many lines, as I did not know what I was doing and wanted to try everything. I would say go with level line. level line worked well for me even in lakes. i also had opaque floating line, and I could cast a 7m floating line, which gave me reach for putting dry flies out there, but the bright line put fish down I think.

kit image is thumbnail, high resolution so you can zoom in to read labels.

the other two are a Kern river rainbow trout, and a planted golden from an alpine like.

The rod handled fish of all sizes, tip responsive and bendy to little ones, and enough backbone in the mid for larger ones while the tip was stretched straight as in the images shown in an earlier post.

Jay

Kit
IMG_2553 Tenkarabum kit.JPG

Kern River Rainbow trout
P8190691 Kern river rainbow copper.jpeg

Golden Trout (from past stocking)
P8231497 smaller ArcticLakeGolden.jpg

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I ordered a 6' Tenkara rod today specifically to fish 2 small nearby creeks. I have fished both streams before with a 7'6'' 2wt and it was just too long to be useful. I talked to the owner of the company about using the rod and he said that he uses the bow and arrow cast most of the time. I'll have a couple of months at least to get that technique dialed in. These are beautiful streams, it's going to be fun!

Reactions: jwg

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I ordered a 6' Tenkara rod today specifically to fish 2 small nearby creeks. I have fished both streams before with a 7'6'' 2wt and it was just too long to be useful. I talked to the owner of the company about using the rod and he said that he uses the bow and arrow cast most of the time. I'll have a couple of months at least to get that technique dialed in. These are beautiful streams, it's going to be fun!
There are some extremely tight spots I have passed on where a 6' rod might have been useful. What rod did you get?

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
There are some extremely tight spots I have passed on where a 6' rod might have been useful. What rod did you get?
Hi Brian, I ordered the rod from [email protected], an outfit out of Colorado. The price of the rod is only $52 but with a spare tip and shipping the total was $77. If I can catch fish with it on either of my target creeks it will be a bargain. These are tough creeks to fish-you can see where the fish ought to be but they are damned tough to reach! I'm hoping for at least a few successes, the little native fish are incredibly beautiful.

Jerry White

Looking forward to the report. I did just pick up a Sato. Looking forward to using it on small creeks nearby as well as my bigger "home" river. I have been tying Kebari fr a month. JW

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info