Carp Commando?

David Loy

Senior Moment
I’ve thought about trying Carp fishing for a while, and am wondering if any of you have used OPST (singlehand skagit) lines? Or have considered opinions?
I know most folks use a WF floater, but I have some limited room casting spots in mind, and a 7wt glass rod that’s great with a Commando Smooth and assorted tips.
Thanks

Hem

The presentation in many situations must be on the delicate side.
False casting better to be kept to a minimum.
Depending on your arrangement you might try a longish leader.
Trial and error....its the name of the game. Eventually you will get dialed in to what the carp in your area prefer.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Yeah, most every post/article I’ve read talks about how spooky they are. I really like this line for SMB (& occasional trout) wade fishing a lake close to home, but that doesn’t necessarily translate to carp too. I have a nice floating line spooled on another reel, but thought I’d ask the question for grins. All ears.

Hem

Years ago I bought a Rio line that was designed for carp...
Honestly I think that notion is dung. It's more important the line matches the rod and you can cast accurately with the set up. Most of the sight fishing is in close with small to moderate size flies.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Oh man, the Commando is the last line I'd pick for that. Like stated above, just your standard line matched to your rod will do, although I like a slightly more aggressive front taper (like a floating nymphing line) to turn over certain weighted patterns....

Buzzy

Carp can be really tough to spot, being on the bow of a boat helps but I rarely fish that way. I like wading, trying to be sneaky and quiet (tough when you're as clumsy as I can be). This isn't a double haul fishery, a lot of the time I'm carrying a few loops of line in my left hand and when I spot a fish, a short cast is all that's needed. They guys above noted: accurate and quiet. Yup! WF8F on my 8 weight.

Reactions: Hem

David Loy

Senior Moment
Case closed then. Glad I asked and it all makes sense. If/when I go give it a try I’ll use an Airflo SD Elite. It’s a pretty standard WF line and works well on the tmr 7.
Thanks all.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts