Custom Rods

cdnred

I'm thinking of getting myself another 4pc 8wt rod, I haven't decided yet on the length. I wanted to make a comparison on prices between a factory made that comes with a warranty and getting a custom rod made from a factory blank. What's involved price wise, type of action. material selection choices, reel seat selections..? Would I be able to get a rod tube and sock with a custom rod..? How long would it take from start to finish..? I'd like to end up with a real nice looking rod by the time it was complete. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Would anyone be interested in making a rod for me..?.

edit:
I had been planning to get a custom rod built. Then I found a great deal on a new Sage Graphite IV 8126-3 fly rod (discontinued but with a blank registration card) complete with a fully loaded G Loomis Synrotech GL 8 9 10 fly reel (as new but discontinued) online thru a private listing for $300 USD, I just couldn't turn a deal like that down.. No longer interested, thanks..

Last edited:

Bonsai

Jerry
I am supersized you haven't had any replies as of yet. Looks like you live in Canada. I would check out rods made in Canada first. I am sure you have quality manufactures up there. Otherwise look at Sage or Winston rods and blanks. Nether company will be cheap, but bot will be top quality. I am sure there are other suppliers. You wont have any problem finding what you want.

veilside180sx

What's involved price wise. Every builder has what they think their time is worth. I rarely build to sell...so you’d have to contact some potential builders that do.

type of action. Action is going to change very minimal vs the factory rod. So if u like the factory rod, and that manufacturer sells the blank it won’t be all that dissimilar.

material selection choices. Guide choices for single foot, double foot, or even ceramics to suit your fancy.

reel seat selections There is hundreds of options for seats & inserts. Domestic & imported...quality varies as does cost range.

Would I be able to get a rod tube and sock with a custom rod..? Depends on the builder, but it’s not difficult to find an aluminum rod tube if they don't offer one.

How long would it take from start to finish..? This very much depends on the builder. On avg most high quality builders are a lil backed up...so be patient. It can be anything from a week to a year based on that builders backlog

I'd like to end up with a real nice looking rod by the time it was complete. Whomever you’re looking at for a builder. Look at their previous builds to get a feel for how they build. Wraps tidy, epoxy heavy & sagging, excess epoxy around the reel seat or grip, guides aligned straight, etc. After having looked at thousands of rods built by others...there is some amazing artisans...and lots of “ok” stuff.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Would anyone be interested in making a rod for me..?.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts