Old English Fly Shop 4/5wt Question?

Joe H

With all the stay at home time afforded lately I've finally decided to build the 12', 4/5 weight (that's been put off for about the past 3 years).

My question for anyone having experience with this particular rod, what lines/grains have you used/liked on it?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
I built that model Brian sells a IM8 blank 4/5 medium fast action like the way it cast too. I would also look at Mudhole, Netcraft for two hand parts they be expensive also check out Anglers Workshop for H&H guides like their bigger guides.

Last edited:

Joe H

Thanks Lue but I already have all of the components, just hoping for a starting point for grain range. What did you like on yours?

I built the ARE 12' 3/4wt IM6 rod about 4-5 years ago and it was just a tad lighter than what I had hoped for, so thought I'd find out if the OFS 4/5wt was slightly beefier.

I run a 275 grain scandi on the 3/4, hoping the 4/5 will handle closer to 330 grains.

Thanks for suggestions.

flyrig

Thanks Lue but I already have all of the components, just hoping for a starting point for grain range. What did you like on yours?

I built the ARE 12' 3/4wt IM6 rod about 4-5 years ago and it was just a tad lighter than what I had hoped for, so thought I'd find out if the OFS 4/5wt was slightly beefier.

I run a 275 grain scandi on the 3/4, hoping the 4/5 will handle closer to 330 grains.

Thanks for suggestions.
I suggest that you contact Steve Godshall in regards to the line for that rod. He probably has a profile for it and after you chat with him he can build your line that I’m sure you will be happy with. He made a scandi line for my 5 wgt that is perfect. By the way it’s 330 grains.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info