Nontraditional SRC tactics?

Hope everyone is well.

I've been watching some Danish sea trout videos and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with some of the tactics these guys employ? Specifically, double fly rigs used to imitate a smaller predator and prey scenario (I think). What about a hopper and dropper type rig? Has anyone had any success with these tactics and/or other "nontraditional" strategies?

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Tried hopper dropper with tiny shrimp like pattern under a dead-drifted hopper. The sand shrimp would get hit (during a kind of sand/ghost shrimp sorta hatch) but not the hopper. The hopper got a few looks on retrieve upcurrent, when the hopper started to give a V wake, sometimes a little boil behind but never an enthusiastic slash....( and that hopper's hook has since rusted away...) and in any case not sure they weren't still interested in the sand-shrimp anyway. It was more work than just a intermediate line + dead-drift +/- slow retrieve cross current...

Also tried a hookless streamer with a second mini-clouser 18 inches behind it, ended up fouling with more weed and casting poorly so abandoned that

Tried hopper dropper with tiny shrimp like pattern under a dead-drifted hopper. The sand shrimp would get hit (during a kind of sand/ghost shrimp sorta hatch) but not the hopper. The hopper got a few looks on retrieve upcurrent, when the hopper started to give a V wake, sometimes a little boil behind but never an enthusiastic slash....( and that hopper's hook has since rusted away...) and in any case not sure they weren't still interested in the sand-shrimp anyway. It was more work than just a intermediate line + dead-drift +/- slow retrieve cross current...

Also tried a hookless streamer with a second mini-clouser 18 inches behind it, ended up fouling with more weed and casting poorly so abandoned that
Thanks wadin'! I was definitely skeptical about these Scandinavian strategies working in the PS. Appreciate your input.

Steelhead ©

BECU Member
WFF Supporter
I’m starting to be more of a one fly guy in all aspects of fly fishing. I think a double fly rig would catch fish though. However, I don’t see the benefits of using multiple fly rigs since they tangle more, cast shorter & snag fish.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I've used double fly rigs quite a bit. I don't have that much of a fouling trouble and I've doubled up more than once. One time when the coho were hot and heavy, I landed 8 fish in 5 casts. Most of those were in the 14" range, but on one cast I landed a 4 lb fish on the top fly and a 2 lb fish on the bottom fly.

I've also caught sea runs and coho under the indicator. Watch this video for more information:

I've used double fly rigs quite a bit. I don't have that much of a fouling trouble and I've doubled up more than once. One time when the coho were hot and heavy, I landed 8 fish in 5 casts. Most of those were in the 14" range, but on one cast I landed a 4 lb fish on the top fly and a 2 lb fish on the bottom fly.

I've also caught sea runs and coho under the indicator. Watch this video for more information:
Thanks Ira, what would you use under the indicator. Shrimp pattern? What about some sorta freshwater nymph, like a Copper John?

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Thanks Ira, what would you use under the indicator. Shrimp pattern? What about some sorta freshwater nymph, like a Copper John?
I think in some cases just about anything would work. But in most cases, I’ve used shrimp like patterns and jig leech patterns.

Tubbster85

Not really fly fishing, but it does use flies. I do this when I don’t feel like fly fishing, mostly when my shoulder is acting up or fishing with others who don’t fly fish. I’ll use a normal spinning rod, with a float called a bombarda float then a fly of your choice. The “floats” come in different densities like float, slow intermediate, intermediate and sinking just like fly lines. I order them from Denmark, I found out about them from watching YouTube videos about sea trout fishing over there. I also discovered hammerbombs, same thing but fishermen in Hawaii use them for shore fishing. Very effective.

Zak

WFF Supporter
Not really fly fishing, but it does use flies. I do this when I don’t feel like fly fishing, mostly when my shoulder is acting up or fishing with others who don’t fly fish. I’ll use a normal spinning rod, with a float called a bombarda float then a fly of your choice. The “floats” come in different densities like float, slow intermediate, intermediate and sinking just like fly lines. I order them from Denmark, I found out about them from watching YouTube videos about sea trout fishing over there. I also discovered hammerbombs, same thing but fishermen in Hawaii use them for shore fishing. Very effective.
Sounds kind of like the casting eggs spincasters use to fish flies for stripahs back east:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts