Outfitting new pram

steve s

WFF Supporter
Hi All,
I recently picked up a sweet little pram. I had been on the lookout for a new stillwater craft for quite a while. I almost pulled the trigger on a number of boats but wanted to hold out for one that I really wanted. I'm glad that I did, I found this nice old Starcraft 9' pram. I have a Scotty anchor mount and a Scotty rod holder that I just purchased from Lue on this site. Both the anchor mount and rod holder, I plan to install on the transom. I'd like an additional anchor set up on the bow. Perhaps it's because I just got the boat, but I'm hesitant to drill holes in the bow for an anchor, it's in such nice condition for a boat close to 50 years old. Does anyone have any other ideas? Or am I just being too cautious?
I also plan to pick up a small fish finder for it, any suggestions? I may still have an old Humminbird that would do the trick, I'll have to take a look.
Thanks in advanced.

Steve

Attachments

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
I anchor my pram dead center from the bow and from the port side of the transom. Two anchors for stillwater fishing are, at least for me, mandatory. Neat little boat you have, it will be enjoyable for you getting it set up. Good luck on the sonar unit.
DSCF0092.JPG

Last edited:

PhilR

If you really don’t want to drill, maybe you could tie one of those anchor ball pullers to the front handle. Personally, I’d mount another Scotty In the bow deck

steve s

WFF Supporter
I anchor my pram dead center from the bow and from the port side of the transom. Two anchors for stillwater fishing are, at least for me, mandatory. Neat little boat you have, it will be enjoyable for you getting it set up. Good luck on the sonar unit. View attachment 231153
Thanks Buzzy. I like your boat! And oar holders, are they PVC?

steve s

WFF Supporter
Steve, your profile says you joined WFF on Jan 1, 1970! I think that is the year that Chris was born. You must be the oldest guy on here....
Haha. To some it says that I joined on Dec.31 1969. I think that I joined in ‘00 or ‘01 but during some upgrade or migration of the site the date was changed and I think that I missed my chance to correct it. If my research is correct, I’m almost as old as the boat.

Bonsai

Jerry
I would mount your bow anchor on the deck. Place it in the center and I would put a nice piece of 1" hardwood under the deck to attach the the mechanism to. The deck looks like it is aluminum. If it is the screws holding the anchor mechanism would probably pull out. I would think about some kind of carpet on the deck/floor to quiet the boat. Nice boat at a nice size. You are going to enjoy it.

sportsman

My boat has a similar bow cap to yours. I used a flush mount Scotty. I made a backer plate out of synthetic counter top material. If you want I could take a picture tomorrow.
Definitely use a backing plate. An old 'plastic' cutting board works great. That stuff has a half life rivaling uranium. If your really anal, like me, use sikkaflex and SS hardware.

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
I use these rope cleats, fore and aft, for my anchor rope. I prefer them to the Scotty anchor locks, as they're not another hang-up point for my fly line. They come in 1/4", 3/8" and 5\8" lines sizes. I use the 3/8" rope size. They were about $8 ea.

View attachment 231238 View attachment 231238
@steve s - What @herkileez is saying about fly line hang up points is so very true. Scan back up to my little boat and look at all the things my fly line gets hung up on: tote, sonar unit, oars, Scotty anchor pulley - and that's just when fishing over the stern. Stand up and turn around, make a cast off the bow and you have: oars, boat seat (this one SUCKS line under and around the mount - yes, crappy coil control on my part), net handle, oar holders (those crudely built ABS things) and other strung rods and that's just with a one handed rod, throw a longer, limber switch rod into the mix....... Now, if you decide to have a trolling motor, more stuff to hang up on. :rolleyes:

Interesting thought process @herkileez - do you stand and pull the anchor with the line out of the cleat?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info