Top 6 Mids

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
@GOTY ”challenged” me to tie up examples of my top 6 chironomid patterns. That was not an easy task. The tying wasn’t too difficult, but the deciding certainly caused me some thought.

I tied all of these on a size 12 2X strong scud hook, using white ultra thread and markers. Hook choice though is personal choice and I’ve tied most of these on curved nymph hooks as well. Mostly out of laziness versus need. Each one could easily be tied with gills in front or with a white bead, so I gave examples of each. The only one I would always tie with the white bead is the one with the orange fabric paint wing buds. That one should also be done without the wing buds and tied as a CHROMY. You can also see that some are tied with peacock herl and some aren’t, again an option either way. Lastly I covered all of these with UV resin for durability.

What are your favorites?

CBEC7A76-F40D-4C6F-A81A-D6E1B682C06D.jpeg

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
WFF Supporter
Do you ever tie them in white, and then take a selection of markers and change to different colors while out fishing? I had a guy tell me to do that, but in thinking about it, you wouldn't be to have the segmented body in or risk changing it to one color. Probably overthinking it!

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
Do you ever tie them in white, and then take a selection of markers and change to different colors while out fishing? I had a guy tell me to do that, but in thinking about it, you wouldn't be to have the segmented body in or risk changing it to one color. Probably overthinking it!
Never done that for mids, but I have for baitfish patterns.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Nice. I rarely fish Mids but my fishing are always early mornings so I gravitate towards the white and chrome ones for better visibility (IMO at least).
Do you find that fish have an easier time finding/eating brighter patterns vs darker ones in low light conditions?
Thanks,
Lou

troutpocket

Nice. I rarely fish Mids but my fishing are always early mornings so I gravitate towards the white and chrome ones for better visibility (IMO at least).
Do you find that fish have an easier time finding/eating brighter patterns vs darker ones in low light conditions?
Thanks,
Lou
That’s an interesting question. I generally don’t fish chironomids in low light conditions because the hatches are mostly in full daylight. I can think of a few times I kept fishing chironomids up until I couldn’t see my indicator but not often. Early mornings I usually pound the banks or work other shallow spots with leeches.

Dave Boyle

I like the look of the longer skinny 'mids better but the gape of a scud hook is larger and gives a better hook up when using smaller sizes. Ironically I had to go into work today so can't look at the hooks I'm thinking of as I may be out in my thinking.

Dave

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info