Want to build first rod.

Johnathon Quarrell

Thinking of taking on a quarantine project and building my first fly rod. I have been in the market for a new bass rod lately so I think something fiberglass and in the 6-8wt range. Ideally keeping it under $250 total so I was looking at the Proof blank kits that way I don't have to worry about which parts to order. Id prefer the challenge be in building the rod and not in ordering the rod to build, if that makes sense. Anyone have any reviews on Proof fly rods?

Thank you,

John

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Thinking of taking on a quarantine project and building my first fly rod. I have been in the market for a new bass rod lately so I think something fiberglass and in the 6-8wt range. Ideally keeping it under $250 total so I was looking at the Proof blank kits that way I don't have to worry about which parts to order. Id prefer the challenge be in building the rod and not in ordering the rod to build, if that makes sense. Anyone have any reviews on Proof fly rods?

Thank you,

John
Check this seller on Ebay ro6231

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
reminds me of the old advice, if you want to build a sailboat to sail around the world. Build a boat but sell
it. Build a second boat and sail that one around the world. Start with a cheap kit to practice and then build your "keeper".
Maybe for a sailboat, but not for a rod. Anybody can build a perfectly fishable rod from a kit, and if you don’t like the finish, you can easily strip and re-wrap. It’s not worth wasting the effort on a rod that you won’t fish, get the blank you want first time.

Buzzy

Thank you,

John
John - piling onto your post as I too want to build a fiberglass rod (wrap a rod). I've spent an hour trying to find a suitable kit in the same price range you're looking for. What have you found? @jersey - a PM to Johnathon? One for me? ;-)

Any others out there that can recommend a "kit" supplier? I suppose some specifications would help - 4 to 6 weight, 8' or so. And I was hoping for neutral color (whatever that means).

Merci beaucoup./Patrick

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
John - piling onto your post as I too want to build a fiberglass rod (wrap a rod). I've spent an hour trying to find a suitable kit in the same price range you're looking for. What have you found? @jersey - a PM to Johnathon? One for me? ;-)

Any others out there that can recommend a "kit" supplier? I suppose some specifications would help - 4 to 6 weight, 8' or so. And I was hoping for neutral color (whatever that means).

Merci beaucoup./Patrick
Old English Fly Shop may have something in neutral 4wt. Talk to Brian there ask what size is th butt section go to Mudhole find parts reel seat, cork grip. Go to Sage fly rod look up rod blanks for spacing and guide size.

Buzzy

Old English Fly Shop may have something in neutral 4wt. Talk to Brian there ask what size is th butt section go to Mudhole find parts reel seat, cork grip. Go to Sage fly rod look up rod blanks for spacing and guide size.
Thanks Lue! I did find some interesting blanks at the Old English Fly Shop!

Ryan Janos

Check this seller on Ebay ro6231

Lue's got you on the right track. I've built on this blank from this seller:
1586206976277.png

It turned out a great rod that I gave to my son for his 4th Bday. I thought glass might be harder for him to break. All in with some budget parts I think I did the whole thing for around $45. I fished it (with my son's permission) a couple weeks ago on the Pit River and had a blast.

Here's a couple shots of the finished product. I've started really preferring an epoxy ramp on half-wells grips...

IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1202.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info