WDFW just shut down fishing statewide

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Well....I actually appreciate the clarification about whether we can fish or not. I really want to wet a line, and could easily make the previous info wdfw had about fishing and hunting to read that it was acceptable as long as we kept the social distance mandate. I was even pondering dragging my kayak down to the water (only a quarter mile away) and doing a little src hunting, although I was wondering if that might start a stampede of other people then taking their kayaks out (or one of the beach owners taking a shot at me with a rifle).
This puts a definitive stop to that thinking. I'm trying to learn that double haul anyway and also tackling my first size 18 dry flies...damn those things are small!
I notice I drink even a little more beer with even less exercise.
Have to use the Brian Chan way of tying flies ty a 18 fly on a 16 hook

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I’d rather suffer without fishing for two weeks or longer if it gets us through this shit quicker and back to our regular routines.
As much as I enjoy fishing, it is a really small fraction of what is going on right now.
Some sacrifices now can pay off some dividends in the future even if you can fish without being near others.
SF

Cougar Zeke

I hate to say this, but my opinion is that this shut down will be longer than 2 weeks. I hope I'm wrong.

I just see other locations blowing up and more interaction will lead to more illnesses back and forth.

gt

here is the problem, a small village somewhere in Italy tested every single person. 40% of those folks were asymptomatic but had the virus and needed to isolate. that is the reason for shutting down and isolating, you don't know if you are a carrier so even a negative test result is no guarantee.

Blktailhunter

Oregon follows suit and closes down recreational fishing on the Columbia. Commercial fishing continues unabated........

Reminds me of a line from Animal Farm: “All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others”

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Oregon follows suit and closes down recreational fishing on the Columbia. Commercial fishing continues unabated........

Reminds me of a line from Animal Farm: “All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others”
Would you rather the commercial guys be out of work and on unemployment?

If they bump commercial quotas, then you have a complaint. Otherwise, having a small number of boats out there harvesting what is an essential (food) seems reasonable to me.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
Would you rather the commercial guys be out of work and on unemployment?

If they bump commercial quotas, then you have a complaint. Otherwise, having a small number of boats out there harvesting what is an essential (food) seems reasonable to me.
High priced spring chinook cannot be described as "essential".... neither is the endangered steelhead bycatch.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
High priced spring chinook cannot be described as "essential".... neither is the endangered steelhead bycatch.
Steelhead bi-catch will exist whether or not recreational opportunities are allowed or not. If you have general concerns about commercial fishing on the Columbia, that is a different topic for discussion.

IMO, there is no reason to shut down commercial fishing because recreational opportunities were shut down due to Coronavirus. Should it be shut down for other reasons? I’ll leave that discussion to others that know way more about that issue than me. That being said, you and I would likely agree on that.

Also, if it can be done safely, I’m still all in on folks not losing their jobs if they do not have to due to this crisis. If that happens due to the fishery being eliminated for the right reasons, again, another discussion.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Yes. The more people who don't stay home, the longer this shit is going to last and the more people are going to die.

I don't think we're gonna have a food shortage if people can't commercially harvest columbia chinook.
Also a different argument. If we feel it’s not safe to commercial fish, let’s discuss that ....but again, if it is safe, and it serves an essential function of some kind, let’s not shut it down just because recreational opportunities were.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
Yes. The more people who don't stay home, the longer this shit is going to last and the more people are going to die.

I don't think we're gonna have a food shortage if people can't commercially harvest columbia chinook.
I have to agree.

I don’t know if they still do or not, but the guys on the seiners and the gillnetters used to draw unemployment when the season closed. At least they did when I worked as a deckhand during summer break back in the ‘70’s. Maybe they could draw it now too.

A lot of human interaction takes place between landing on the boat’s deck and the cooler at the local grocery store where the fish ultimately ends up. Also, salmon (especially Spring Chinook - which I assume is the current target) is considered somewhat of an expensive luxury item for most folks these days.

I’d say they, along with bycatch Steelhead are better off if left in the river.

Last edited:

David SC

waters in national parks usually fall under their own regulations. does this ruling by wdfw affect them.
Olympic national park has posted emergency closures following suit with WDFW. Not sure about others.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts