WDFW just shut down fishing statewide

MGTom

WFF Supporter
My wife just got a call from the WW school district. They are not going back to the classroom this year. Supposedly all online now. I expect the college where I am to follow suit but don't know yet, we're usually a day behind. Last time we got a call to delay school, WDFW extended to the May date the following day. I'm nervous.

bek41

They want to continuously make us stay inside and at home when that actually impairs our immune system. Our immune system which we need to not only fight off this virus but all the other things that can impair our health. I understand needing to ban social gatherings, non essential businesses (which are not even that many according to their list), and other things like restaurants. BUT fishing??? We have way more chance to spread or contract this virus at a grocery store or any other essential business that is allowed to stay open. Washington policy to the T. No thought or logic just knee jerk reaction. Ban and close everything related to fishing. The most frustrating thing is I am a healthcare worker and have been taking care of covid+ patients. We as healthcare professionals dealing with this crisis our isolating ourselves from our family and friends and cant even go out to the middle of nowhere to fish where no other human being is to release stress that is being continuously build up from this. I'm fed up honestly....

Nick Metzman

Except to the other person who says, "Well I see he is fishing I might as well too.", and so it goes on and on. Your right...your not a doctor, do what the good doctor says and stay home. Doing the right thing will get us ALL fishing sooner.
Fishing in Minnesota ain’t shut down

EDIT: Also, it is completely unreasonable and unhealthy to tell people to stay inside for a month and do nothing. Something outdoors and done in solitude is a perfectly safe thing to do. I don’t have to be a doctor to understand that I cannot give or get the virus if I’m not around anyone.

If someone sees me and decides to go fishing because of it, that is not inherently dangerous. As long as people don’t come in contact with one another, it doesn’t matter if people are fishing or not.

The fact that fishing in still legal in some states and illegal in others showcases that “the experts” aren’t in agreement.

Last edited:

Porter

Fishing in Minnesota ain’t shut down
But should ya? Here’s the thing and I just had a fight with my 19 year old sophomore college daughter, she played the others are doing it so why can’t I? I won’t let her go out ... Hey we all know what's at stake... . We know what we have to do together. Can we do what it takes? We are doing it for others who are less fortunate in their age or health situation, and then again for the unknowns. I hear you and all the others. The sad part is it should be a national movement and even more a continent movement. Today’s N.Y. could be next weeks Minneapolis.

A/L/D

They want to continuously make us stay inside and at home when that actually impairs our immune system. Our immune system which we need to not only fight off this virus but all the other things that can impair our health. I understand needing to ban social gatherings, non essential businesses (which are not even that many according to their list), and other things like restaurants. BUT fishing??? We have way more chance to spread or contract this virus at a grocery store or any other essential business that is allowed to stay open. Washington policy to the T. No thought or logic just knee jerk reaction. Ban and close everything related to fishing. The most frustrating thing is I am a healthcare worker and have been taking care of covid+ patients. We as healthcare professionals dealing with this crisis our isolating ourselves from our family and friends and cant even go out to the middle of nowhere to fish where no other human being is to release stress that is being continuously build up from this. I'm fed up honestly....

Since you are a healthcare worker, you need to understand to how important it is for you to self isolate. You work with people who are sick with a high contagious, that makes you a vector of spreading the virus.

My illusions are completly shattered becuase of some healthcare workers not understanding some of the pillars of public health work. We are severly underprepared for a virus like this and the fact that self identified healthcare workers like you have this attitude really underpins how fucked up this whole situation will get.

sportsman

WDFW knows that without a total shutdown the selfish & self absorbed will say if you allow this, why can't I do that. So a month from now, hopefully we have reached the 'plateu', the weather will be hotter and then those same people will just say screw it, I'm fishing. This will NOT be gone in one month and the 2nd wave will hit just when the stockpiles are really exhausted, if we relax even a little bit. Anyone that doesn't realize it has their head stuck where the Sun don't shine. All of spring fishing is over. The sooner everyone resigns themselves to it, this 'whoa is me' BS will end.

bek41

Since you are a healthcare worker, you need to understand to how important it is for you to self isolate. You work with people who are sick with a high contagious, that makes you a vector of spreading the virus.

My illusions are completly shattered becuase of some healthcare workers not understanding some of the pillars of public health work. We are severly underprepared for a virus like this and the fact that self identified healthcare workers like you have this attitude really underpins how fucked up this whole situation will get.
Except I am self isolating. I have said I have been isolating away from friends and family. Doing nothing except work and being home. That's why its frustrating to not be able to go fishing in solitude. I cannot give the virus to anyone nor get the virus from anyone if I am completely alone, casting my fly rod. That's my point. How can you even think being cooped up at home and work would be great for the health of many of our frontline healthcare workers? We need to at least get to release some stress in things that require ZERO human contact, recieve the vitamin D we should be getting from the sun that will boost our immune systems so if we were to contract this virus, we aren't in danger to succumbing to it.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Except I am self isolating. I have said I have been isolating away from friends and family. Doing nothing except work and being home. That's why its frustrating to not be able to go fishing in solitude. I cannot give the virus to anyone nor get the virus from anyone if I am completely alone, casting my fly rod. That's my point. How can you even think being cooped up at home and work would be great for the health of many of our frontline healthcare workers? We need to at least get to release some stress in things that require ZERO human contact, recieve the vitamin D we should be getting from the sun that will boost our immune systems so if we were to contract this virus, we aren't in danger to succumbing to it.
We all see logic in being on the water as ok, it is the to and from that can risk close interaction with people..car breaks down, car wreck, gas stations, Arby's...hit a deer.. that are not acceptable risk right now. Cannot beat this thing until we are all in, but we do share the frustrations of wanting to fish.

Fish will be bigger, hungrier.

We will fish soon, hang in there. Think of Vets who went to war for endless months, years overseas, no fishing, no internet, day to day heavy shit.. and came back, or didn't. They'd happily take the safety of American soil I bet, when serving.

Last edited:

SinglehandJay

This all definitely sucks. We all want to go fish. But to go to fishing forums to see who is crying the same as you so you can justify going fishing because someone went and posted it is stupid as fuck. Stay home. People are dying from this shit. The fact that anyone even has to think if it's ok to go fishing at a time like this is unreal. Get over yourselves. WE are all in this together. Your safety is my safety and my safety is yours because you can't see this shit and everyone spits when they talk. Now wash your fucking hands.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info