Considering first bamboo rod

Mark Kadoshima

I got the pleasure to meet Steve Kokita out on a lake...and in between his talking....he honored me with letting me take a few casts with one of his rods. Now, I'm not sure if it's because I knew he had made it or that it's bamboo, but I can understand a little of that 'soul'. Sort of like eating a homemade pie vs a really good restaurant pie...you can still taste the 'life' that went into it.
Anyway, this would be a totally selfish purchase as I'm not even sure if bamboo is for me vs getting a good glass rod. I'm thinking of a 4 wt, since I can evaluate next to my existing 4 wt and truly compare if I like the differences. I'm convinced it will be better, but not sure for me, at least, whether this will be another road I want to start traveling (the roadmap of my interests looks like a map of LA freeways).
I figure I should purchase a new rod since I wouldn't be able to evaluate whether there was a fault in a used one I wasn't aware of. I tend to not purchase the really expensive rods, as I don't believe my 'game' is quite up to the level of the return to investment...although it's getting there. So I tend to keep my rod purchases below $400.00 for single hand rods.
Do you guys have a recommendation for a bamboo 4wt that would fit somewhere in here? I don't do Ebay...and again, I'm thinking a used rod doesn't make sense since I wouldn't know if I was getting a bum rod. I know not fair....but I'll be sort of evaluating this whole 'bamboo' material based on this purchase. Not looking for fishing ecstasy...just to get an idea as to why the almost cult status....and I really enjoy quality woodworking!
Thanks,
Mark

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
Before you break out the check book, you should try to make the Bamboo Fling if it can be held this year. There are so many tapers to sample, try as many as possible that afternoon. You will most likely find something that puts a smile on your mug and then you are going to slide down a slippery slope. A Bamboo rod has a personality, and you have to cast it to understand what it likes. Give it what it likes and it will reward you with many memories.

You better run now while you still can :D

Mike Monsos

Mark Kadoshima

... you have been warned...:cool:
I believe I understand....I really only wanted to try this 'fly fishing thing' one time...that was four years ago, several rods ago (both single and double hand), and way too much money ago. It's that attraction of always learning something new...it really is a drug. I should've not used my real name as my wife can tell what I'm up to if she ever logs onto this site : )

If you, like me, are a sucker for beautiful handmade objects crafted from an organic substance, then yes, slippery slope indeed. If said objects also function incredibly well, then I say, "Run down that slope, brother!"

About 10 years ago I was gifted a bamboo rod by a well-heeled friend who wanted to thank me for a favor done. That single stalk has grown into a grove, I know not how. Damn bamboo is so fertile...

Keep safe and good luck on your hunt for that first stalk,
Kenneth

Bonsai

Jerry
Mark you have received some real good comments. All are true. Like Mike said consider yourself invited to the Bamboo Fling. Watch that thread for the date. As soon as the pandemic is over and we can gather in groups we will schedule it. Believe me, as Greg said consider yourself warned. Bamboo is considered an invasive species. It just seems to grow and grow. Like Ken said That first single stalk can grow into a grove before you know it. I am about to put the finish on the wraps on an old redone rod. My grove is around 25 or 30 rods. Some new some old and even some that are not at all impressive. I just can't seem to help myself. I think all bamboo fly rods in the $400 range will be made in Asia. Check out Headwaters Bamboo Fly Rods. You can pic up an American blank from Stone Rod Co. for around $400. If you pick up a blank get one with the ferrules already fitted. It is easy to misalign the ferrules and end up with a rod that isn't straight. Best of luck

Mark Kadoshima

Mark you have received some real good comments. All are true. Like Mike said consider yourself invited to the Bamboo Fling. Watch that thread for the date. As soon as the pandemic is over and we can gather in groups we will schedule it. Believe me, as Greg said consider yourself warned. Bamboo is considered an invasive species. It just seems to grow and grow. Like Ken said That first single stalk can grow into a grove before you know it. I am about to put the finish on the wraps on an old redone rod. My grove is around 25 or 30 rods. Some new some old and even some that are not at all impressive. I just can't seem to help myself. I think all bamboo fly rods in the $400 range will be made in Asia. Check out Headwaters Bamboo Fly Rods. You can pic up an American blank from Stone Rod Co. for around $400. If you pick up a blank get one with the ferrules already fitted. It is easy to misalign the ferrules and end up with a rod that isn't straight. Best of luck
Thanks for invite and I had intended to make it a couple years ago, but alas, family events, especially around Mother's Day always seemed to interfere.
I've watched with admiration the craftsmanship in making these rods. I am tempted to string up a blank, but have never done so and would not want to make a judgement based on my own possible crappy work. I really enjoy woodworking, and even used to do some woven baskets in my youth, so tying on the guides doesn't seem out of the skill set, but...….

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info