Three minutes to tie - what do you choose?

NRC

WFF Supporter
Here’s a scenario I’ve been thinking about that kinda mirrors some of the other fly tying distraction threads that are going right now:

You and four other anglers are at one of your favorite cutthroat beaches, each with a desk, a vise, all the materials you need, and a timer. The game is this: everyone gets three minutes to tie a fly (you can assume a tiny bit longer time period if you’re a noob like me who can’t tie anything in less than five minutes - just calibrate it to require you tying your easiest and quickest go-to), and as soon as three minutes had elapsed from the starting gun, you’ve gotta use whatever you ended up with to try to catch the first fish. Even if it’s garbage or not finished.

First person to catch a cutthroat gets to keep all the other contestants’ fly tying materials. Or the losers have to do the Puget Sound polar plunge.

So,

1) what’s your fly and why?
2) what’s your prize for the winner and/or punishment for the losers?

My fly choice would be one of these guys. They just work, often a lot better than the complicated baitfish pattern messes I put together. Chenille, polar bear, flash, done.
image.jpg

As a final note, I think the best part of this would be seeing someone’s hideous, incomplete tying mishap end up catching the first fish out of the group.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Interesting concept!

These both took me under 3 minutes. The first would definitely need som shoring up to last a single whack on the beach or a couple of fish.

The clouser would last a bit I think. Assuming the 3 minutes does not include the super glue drying that I applied so it does not unravel!

First & time.

386AE260-494B-4CCC-BC25-DAFCEB97CBBD.jpeg

0293302A-8089-4895-945B-F69915C1E9D1.jpeg

Second & time

E181385A-BE83-49CB-8F1A-09D282E391CB.jpeg

4A2C7F2D-3F54-4D4B-BED1-4DA6A578DA94.jpeg

NRC

WFF Supporter
Nothing with a Vengence.

I’d like to thank whom ever strung the flashy material. No need to wrestle materials.

View attachment 231510 View attachment 231511
I was thinking about a NWA, but they’re a little bit sparse and wimpy for my typical stripping style. Hadn’t seen the vengeance variant, will have to tie a few up.

i should have stipulated that if you finish early you get to start early. That would really reward the quickest ties.

Jake

WFF Supporter
I was thinking about a NWA, but they’re a little bit sparse and wimpy for my typical stripping style. Hadn’t seen the vengeance variant, will have to tie a few up.

i should have stipulated that if you finish early you get to start early. That would really reward the quickest ties.
Sweet! I’ll be the first one on the water at 5pm April 8th.

Jake

WFF Supporter
I was going to post that fly. You beat me to it! Nice tie. I hope all is well.
You should. I would love to see what they’re supposed to look like. I feel like I’ve been playing the telephone game with myself for several generations of these.

Things are as well as they can be. No work until at least 4/27, both kids are at home 24/7, wife is working from home, and fishing’s closed for a couple of weeks.

But, we’re healthy and that’s what really matters at the moment. How are you

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
You should. I would love to see what they’re supposed to look like. I feel like I’ve been playing the telephone game with myself for several generations of these.

Things are as well as they can be. No work until at least 4/27, both kids are at home 24/7, wife is working from home, and fishing’s closed for a couple of weeks.

But, we’re healthy and that’s what really matters at the moment. How are you
Glad to hear you guys are good.

We're at home as well. My wife is remote teaching, I'm working from home, and our 3-year-old is hanging out with us.

Staying busy for sure.

Jim Darden

Here’s a scenario I’ve been thinking about that kinda mirrors some of the other fly tying distraction threads that are going right now:

You and four other anglers are at one of your favorite cutthroat beaches, each with a desk, a vise, all the materials you need, and a timer. The game is this: everyone gets three minutes to tie a fly (you can assume a tiny bit longer time period if you’re a noob like me who can’t tie anything in less than five minutes - just calibrate it to require you tying your easiest and quickest go-to), and as soon as three minutes had elapsed from the starting gun, you’ve gotta use whatever you ended up with to try to catch the first fish. Even if it’s garbage or not finished.

First person to catch a cutthroat gets to keep all the other contestants’ fly tying materials. Or the losers have to do the Puget Sound polar plunge.

So,

1) what’s your fly and why?
2) what’s your prize for the winner and/or punishment for the losers?

My fly choice would be one of these guys. They just work, often a lot better than the complicated baitfish pattern messes I put together. Chenille, polar bear, flash, done.
View attachment 231466

As a final note, I think the best part of this would be seeing someone’s hideous, incomplete tying mishap end up catching the first fish out of the group.
You obviously don't understand anything about fly tying.......we don't tie flies that the fish like, we tie the ones that make us happy. If I only tied the flies that catch fish I wouldn't have any fun at all!!!!.....

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts