Three minutes to tie - what do you choose?

SilverFly

I know for a fact that one produces :)
It's produced some surprises. A few years back I got tired of watching @Randall Clark putting on a rockfish clinic at BV Jetty, while I was gettting blanked on anchovy patterns. In desperation I downsized to a #8 krystal krill thinking the smaller rockfish might like it. Or maybe pick up a perch, greenling, herring ... anything. A few casts later hatchery coho was on the menu!

1585524130017.png

Last edited:

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
It's produced some surprises. A few years back I got tired of watching @Randall Clark putting on a rockfish clinic at BV Jetty, while I was gettting blanked on anchovy patterns. In desperation I downsized to a #8 krystal krill thinking the smaller rockfish might like it. Or maybe pick up a perch, greenling, herring ... anything. A few casts later hatchery coho was on the menu!

View attachment 232025
that was soooo awesome! "I got one"....."wait, this doesn't feel like a rockfish should..."

SilverFly

that was soooo awesome! "I got one"....."wait, this doesn't feel like a rockfish should..."
Couldn't believe it when it peeled some line and could see silver flashing in the depths. Still need to get my jetty rockfish game dialed though. Maybe I can talk you into a tutoring session at BV this summer. :)

Anyway, as a segue to get this thread back on track, the reason I came up with this pattern in the first place was precisely because I needed something quick and dirty when scrambling before a tuna trip. Checked my jetty box and it only had a few old/rusty flies. I literally needed some 3 minute patterns that weren't bait fish imitations sized for tuna. The quickest appropriate tie I could think of was a super-simple krill pattern I use for estuary steelhead and coho. Butt-ugly, yet effective. So I did a slightly better looking reboot by losing the marabou and adding a sparse krystal flash hackle.

Fun thread. Hope to see some more spontaneous 3 minute creations posted.

Last edited:

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Guy, I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any stretch. I usually do ok, with the exception of the last couple of times I've fished it.

As far as legit 3 minute ties, I'd say my best true 3 minute tie would be a simple clouser. They just flat out work...for a lot of things. Although I like to tie them with a couple of saddle hackles in there for a little bit more action.

holtad

WFF Supporter
I'll have to try this. I think 3 min is usually the time it takes me just to find the right sized hook a my tying station.

Reactions: NRC

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info