NFR Sentimental Items

D3Smartie

Hey guys - As i sit here like the rest of you wishing i was fishing and cleaning up my gear instead, i have come across a few items that certainly arent of great value but have significant sentimental value for me so i thought i'd share em.
An old remington knife that was a birthday gift and some flies tied by Wes Drain back in the 70s i would guess.

Both came from my old fishing Pard Bill McMahon. An old man that didnt seem to have time for most but always made time for a young kid.

Anyways. Hope the rest of you guys are holding up well. Heck of a time to re-organize the fly gear.

Share whatever you come across

D

Attachments

Last edited:

Rob Allen

i have 3 items of sentimental value to me

1. The copy of Dry Line Steelhead that Bill signed and gave to me when i was in highschool, it's tattered from reading and reading and reading again but I still have it.

2. My Orvis 10' 9 wt "Salmon" that i bought around the same time
3. the Hardy St John i bought with the Orvis Rod

This was my 12 month a year steelhead rod from 1985 till about 1995 I used to be able to cast and fish a whole double taper on that rod. yes even on the Deschutes with no backcast room.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
....2. My Orvis 10' 9 wt "Salmon" that i bought around the same time
This was my 12 month a year steelhead rod from 1985 till about 1995 I used to be able to cast and fish a whole double taper on that rod. yes even on the Deschutes with no backcast room.
I have that same rod, 3-piece. A friend gave it to me along with some nice Ross reels, flies and more. I’ve never fished it but have been thinking about converting it to a switch rod. As a rod builder, do you have any thoughts on that?

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Not only sentimetal, those flies tied by Wes likely have some collector's value. I knew both Wes and Bill through the Washington Steelhead Flyfishers. Bill was appointed the office of lifetime Ghillie. And he was the best joke teller I've ever known, . . . "Let me tell you about my home town, Butte, Montana . . . " is the way many of his stories began. I took a photo of Bill holding a bull trout (Dolly Varden back then) that he had just caught in the Slide Hole on the Sauk River. A friend had it blown up into a lifesize poster, and we gave it to him. That would sure be cool to have now.

Rob Allen

I have that same rod, 3-piece. A friend gave it to me along with some nice Ross reels, flies and more. I’ve never fished it but have been thinking about converting it to a switch rod. As a rod builder, do you have any thoughts on that?

it's a great rod, but it's heavy. i think in the long run you'd probably be happier with a more modern lighter rod. that said orvis did make a long rear grip to be interchangeable with the short butt cap that came with the rod.

D3Smartie

@Salmo_g always fun to know people that knew him. He was a heck of a figure in my life at a young age. We used to fish the coho returning in front of his house every october and would tie flies in his shop regularly.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
A Winchester model 21 shotgun, side by 12 gauge. Serial no. 86XX, bought by my Dad the first year they made them 1932 or 33. Gave it to my son in law for Xmas a couple years ago, he’s the son I never had and one of his sons will eventually get it. Dad said he shot it every week in season in central Mexico on the lakes his company built; they had tremendous winter bird populations with several North American flyways merging and overwintering there. He said it wasn’t unusual to shoot a case of shells in two days.

DenWor54

I reorganized and condensed my tying rooms and found some letters from Walt Johnson and a letter that was written by Syd Glasso, I have some Walt’s flies and a bunch of Don Harger’s flies that we’re given to me by my mother in law. Don was a fly fisherman and tier out of Oregon but I don’t now much about him. I also have some bugs that were tied by Larry Grahm who was a well known Yakima guide and if I remember was the originator of the lightning bug.

Bruce Baker

The first spinning reel I ever got, a Garcia Mitchell 300. It was a present for my 13th birthday and was paired with 6 foot 2-piece South Bend rod (metal ferules).

More recently.....my dad was a draftsman, so after he passed away I brought back a bunch of his things....a case of compasses (aka protractors), a couple of slide rules, lead holders, lead sharpener and a small calendar from 1959. While he was alive we went through a bunch of his stuff. What a packrat. Lost of pencils, triangles, brushes, and templates. We tried to donate to the local library/schools, but no one wanted them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts