NFR Sentimental Items

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
I reorganized and condensed my tying rooms and found some letters from Walt Johnson and a letter that was written by Syd Glasso, I have some Walt’s flies and a bunch of Don Harger’s flies that we’re given to me by my mother in law. Don was a fly fisherman and tier out of Oregon but I don’t now much about him. I also have some bugs that were tied by Larry Grahm who was a well known Yakima guide and if I remember was the originator of the lightning bug.
Dennis, do you happen to have a Hargers Orange. Would love to see the pattern. Haig-Brown talks about fishing a Hargers Orange but I haven't been able to track down the pattern.

DenWor54

I will take a look at the box which is mainly dry flies, my brother in law has a few of his ties also. And I will check with my brother in law if he knows of the pattern or has one.

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
This is a tough thread for me. I do have some sentimental things. Actually a pretty big list surprisingly.

The hard part was the week my Dad was at home on hospice waiting to die. Being there executer I was at his beck and call sorting his belongings out while he was still coherent. Long story behind that. As I was packing stuff up and rebuilding garage for my step mom (he wanted it set up for her to use when he was gone) it was my chore to clean out and pack up the hunting and fishing cabinets. I was getting all of that per will and he was insisted I get it (again long story). It was the hardest thing I've ever done, tearing down his life while he was dying one room over. What floored me, and broke me down, was going through an odds and ends box. He kept my first hunting knife, my first compass, my first hunting cap, my first fishing vest, etc. Had no idea he had kept it. Tearing up just thinking about it.

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
This isn't old, but has become sentimental. Celebrated my 50th birthday in December. My son stopped by before work on my birthday and dropped off my present. It was this picture.

Bottom picture was last "Dad's trip" with my Dad. Glad I took the photo since I had no idea it would be his last. In fact this was the last time he was able to fish. Top picture is the next year when I took my son for our first "Dad's trip". He did show up for a couple days on my Dad's last trip, but had important tests he couldn't miss at school.
20200329_101457.jpg

MT_Flyfisher

My most prized possession is this wood carving of a fisherman by my great grandfather, Nicholas Yagge, I believe about 100 years ago. He came to the US from Switzerland as a young boy in the 1870‘s, and died in 1936 at the age of 73, which is how old I am now. Fishing runs deep in my veins.

EF28C715-35D8-4736-A507-F474051DBB4B.jpeg

Hem

View attachment 231893
From my grandpa. He was of the gut leader era- didn't understand that nylon didn't need to be soaked- so we carried our leaders in between the moistened felt pads in this. Love the happy fish and the happy memories it brings back.
Same story..same box.
I actually carry it most times, still functions as it should.
Big thumbs up!!!

surfnfish

I have 2 that mean a whole lot to me

-my first custom surfboard, built in 1963 by Frederick Wardy, who a few years later moved to NY where he became a reknown artist and sculptor. Mowed lawns for a year saving up for it, and still surfing at age 70, will paddle this fellow elder out during summer occasionally just for the grins.

-a knife and sheath made for me by a fellow fleet skipper back in the 70's when I was running a 65' sportfisher, a man who'd been a Hellcat tail gunner during WW2 (lied about his age, 16 when he signed up) that survived being shot down, later an undercover cop that survived a front page shootout despite being shot twice, then spent his last working decades running sportsfishing boats. RIP Al Guest, you broke the mold.
IMG_20200329_120215901.jpg IMG_20150309_162120.jpg

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I must be getting old - I love these stories and momentos!
My dad wasn't a flyfisherman, but we grew up in MN (my generation and his) so of course he was a fisherman. I have these lures that were in his tackle box for as long as I can remember; maybe I'll take this downtime to make a display box for them.
20200329_124352.jpg
In my own old tackle box, I found this pill bottle from '76. Inside were 3 "flies" I tied when I must have been...9-ish? Tied without a vise, I'm sure. I'm absolutely certain I had no idea what a fly rod was back then, but I'd seen flies, knew they should work for sunfish, and vaguely remember trying to figure out how to throw them with my little yellow spincast rod! Of course, you could catch sunnies just dangling them off the dock. Pretty sure those are feathers from a pillow :D
20200329_123643.jpg ]

DenWor54

The second and third flies look like a classic Alec Jackson style spade and a whiskey and soda. Never seen the first fly.

Alec Jackson gave me a spade he tied at the WA fly show several years ago. Sits in my summer steelhead shadowbox between a Golden Demon and a Gordon.
View attachment 231955
Nice collection of flies the Black Gordon was responsible for my first Skykomish summer run. Alec was very generous and was always fun watching him tying at the shows. Also I looked thru the dry’s that Harger had tied and I don’t see anything in orange.

Bob Newman

Dennis, do you happen to have a Hargers Orange. Would love to see the pattern. Haig-Brown talks about fishing a Hargers Orange but I haven't been able to track down the pattern.
Check the search function on this site. I found a conversation from 2008 about the fly and a couple of pictures. I just typed in Harger to find them.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I used to have some old 12" rulers around but I have no idea where they are stored.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts