NFR Sentimental Items

herkileez

WFF Supporter
Ernie Johnsons' Hardware Store was a hunting and fishing store in my old hometown. Ernie was a well-known flyfisher/outdoorsman, and taught countless numbers of fishers to flycast...at no charge. When I was in my late teens, I went in to buy my first fly rod. Ernie asked what weight of rod I was looking for. I said I wasn't sure, as I was just starting. He could have made an immediate sale, but said "I won't sell you a rod until you take this book home and read it. When you come back, we'll see about setting you up." He sold me a paperback copy of Haig-Browns' "A Primer of Flyfishing", for $1.75 (I still have it). I came back when I'd finished the book, and we went from there.....I've never forgotten that.
By coincidence, I've been doing the flycasting demo/lessons at the Haig-Brown Festival, here in Campbell River the past few years...always, of course, at no charge.

haig brown primer.jpg

DenWor54

Dennis, do you happen to have a Hargers Orange. Would love to see the pattern. Haig-Brown talks about fishing a Hargers Orange but I haven't been able to track down the pattern.

Here’s some of Don’s originals
Dennis, do you happen to have a Hargers Orange. Would love to see the pattern. Haig-Brown talks about fishing a Hargers Orange but I haven't been able to track down the pattern.
Hey Dave,
Here’s some of Don’s Originals 5ABF8143-2372-4FAF-9A64-AA1EA8CEDFA0.jpeg DF888BE0-AD72-40A9-9FCA-BF2C37A08A91.jpeg E9978E55-A91E-40D8-8A91-B4ADFA7BF3B4.jpeg FB1070CB-362E-4E52-A32E-A83E31537CE1.jpeg

Squamishpoacher

The Harger's Orange that I have in my notes was tied on a Mustad 9049 hook. The tail was orange hackle and body if orange seal fur palmered with an orange hackle ribbed with fine gold oval tinsel. The wing was the brown hair from an orange dyed bucktail. I posted a poor photo of the fly a couple years ago on the what's in your vise.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
I’ve got a few things that are special to me.

1. An LC Smith 12 gauge side by side from the 30’s. It still shoots very well but retired it after my German short hair passed.

2. a old Fennwick glass rod that was my grandpa’s. It doesn’t see any action, but it’s something I will never get rid of.

3. Last but not least is a Sage RPL 9’6” 4pc 7wt. I got brand new from the Avid Angle when they were up by Northgate. It was the first rod I ever bought, and I’ve literally caught everything on this rod. Trout, steelhead and every kind of salmon including a 20lb king.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
All my dad's guns, some of his fishing stuff and will get the rest some time down the road. My grand father's 2 person cross cut saw and one other saw of his. Mike Kinney gave me one of the prototype Deer Creek switch rods that I love and is so fun to fish and cast, I have a bunch of flies he gave me too.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts