Stillwater indicator leaders

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
WW-
Have a bell would be a good idea if one is going to nap. Last year on Pass during a slow period the angler in the boat next to me stretch out in his pram and soon was clearly asleep. Sure enough about 10 minutes later a nice trout began jumping behind his boat. I hollered that he had a fish but he only woke up after the resident bald eagle interpreted his sleep by swoop within a few feet of the angler in attempt to get the fish. Some how the angler manage to land the fish and deprive the eagle of an easy meal. Not sure that we can always rely on friendly eagles to give us a wake up call!

Curt
Now I'm thinking I just need to bring you along!

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
I find that the guys that are successful are putting plenty of effort into this method. Outfitting your boat properly, using rods and lines that are correct, tying a wide variety of flies with a range of colors and nice slim tapers. When actually fishing you first must use your knowledge to find a good location, that could include birds, sounder, shucks, hatching bugs, other fishermen. Once located you must decide depth and fly to use. Once fishing you are actively fishing one rod and maybe hanging another one. With the active rod you are trying to determine if there is a certain depth and retrieve that is triggering a reaction. And in all cases you are keeping your attention focused on your indicator or rod tip when dangling for those very light takes.
My sounder is on all day keeping an eye on the amount of fish traffic in my area and I am always watching what is going on around me.
Yes I am not flogging the water with constant casting but I am fully engaged in the process. I would say it is a low physical effort but the mental effort is much greater than some methods such as trolling a wooly buggar for instance.
Guys that are falling asleep waiting for a bite are indeed low effort chronie guys. One of my fishing partners refers to them as "just taking up space". I find that there are lots of guys just "taking up space".
I am anything but idle when I fish, so this is exactly what I keep trying to to tell people who compare watching an indicator to watching paint dry. If my indicator is not indicating what I want it to be indicating within 30 seconds of being in the zone, something is happening. When a do nothing approach is required, than another rod is out and hunting, my eyes are darting here there and everywhere, my mind is in motion the whole time. I don’t fish to take my mind off of things, I fish to put my mind into a single task.

Beer does find its place though!

MGTom

OK, so I have a question, and pardon me if it's stupid. Since we can't go test, I was wondering if anyone has tried running this as just a regular slip bobber rig, just using the rubber or tread stop? This would put the float near the end and ease casting a bit? I can see fluorocarbon sinking both sides of float but maxima? A simple thread on size 16 might not pull down but a 12 beadhead on flouro below the ring, or multi fly?

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
OK, so I have a question, and pardon me if it's stupid. Since we can't go test, I was wondering if anyone has tried running this as just a regular slip bobber rig, just using the rubber or tread stop? This would put the float near the end and ease casting a bit? I can see fluorocarbon sinking both sides of float but maxima? A simple thread on size 16 might not pull down but a 12 beadhead on flouro below the ring, or multi fly?
I tried once, but I found that if you are not using super heavy flies that they don’t do a great job of pulling the line through to the bobber stop. Sometimes the friction stops the flies from sinking all the way. In shallow situations this likely is not as much of an issue.

Buzzy

Following some advice in here I played with making floats from wine corks and butane lighter filler stems. My craft work is rough.
View attachment 232826
Ira style indicator.jpg

I know we have lots of time and you're enjoying the process, but when it comes time to actually be on the water fishing: $0.30 each, I don't have to carve them, fabricate a plug or paint them. This is the Iracator.

Big Laker

3 to 6 inch piece of Amnesia 15lb. ( only reason for this is to save your factory loop to loop from getting cut and sinking the tip) 6 to 10lb Seaguar Invizx to depth of first fly or swivel. 2 to 6lb Seaguar Blue Label from first fly or swivel to lake floor. It's nothing fancy, doesn't cast the greatest but it's one of the flatest leader systems I have tried over the years. Invizx is probably the best bang for the buck fluorocarbon on the market for what we do ( soft/ limp= hangs nice and straight). Poundage of system depends on fish size/ water clarity/ structure/fishing pressure and size of fly. Store bought tapered leaders will hinder your bobber fishing emencily but "hey",you'll be able to cast farther and look better until the guy next to you is out fishing you 10 to 1.

Attachments

PezVela

Wow... just got my order from Floats Unlimited, and think it's a life time supply! Looks like 25 floats with pegs, and 240 pegs! (a communication issue) I'm in the choronomid fishing bidness... if we ever get out of house arrest.

Attachments

Last edited:

Triggw

Wow... just got my order from Floats Unlimited, and think it's a life time supply! Looks like 25 floats with pegs, and 240 pegs! (a communication issue) I'm in the choronomid fishing bidness... if we ever get out of house arrest.
Do those release?

Philonius

So what size are those iracators?

PezVela

I have not seen those types of floats up close, so could you tell me how do you properly rig them for release? Thanks!
Sure... Run the leader through the peg and float. Pull the peg out, make a loop, and replace the peg in the float, pinching the leader loop outside the peg. Don't pinch the leader too tight with the peg... so when you hook a fish, the leader pulls through, and the float will slide up or down the leader. Easier to do than describe.
(the big loop is for show.. I like to pull it down small.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info