leader set up

802flyfish

I’m fairly new to Trout Spey. I have a integrated SA speylite Skagit Line on my 4wt Echo Trout Spey rod. I purchased the SA assortment of Spey Tips. I’m mostly fishing small to medium sized streamers. My question is what strength and how long of leaders are people running off your tips?

cmann886

Four feet of Seaguar 8 lb. test Fluor. depending on what you need to turn over the fly. On the Yakima in the fall using a dolly-llama or similar sized streamers, use 12 lb. (you will loose fewer flies to the carnivorous trees that inhabit that area.)

Jim Darden

Four feet of Seaguar 8 lb. test Fluor. depending on what you need to turn over the fly. On the Yakima in the fall using a dolly-llama or similar sized streamers, use 12 lb. (you will loose fewer flies to the carnivorous trees that inhabit that area.)
hard to beat that recommendation, I think you covered it all!

cmann886

Not if you use a double looped piece of hollow nylon material between the line and leader. They are very easy to make and save a lot of wear and tear.

Joe52

Cmann866, I’m not understanding your method. Do you have a pic?

I am also new to troutspey. Do you not step down to 2x or 3x For leader shy fish? Straight 8#?
thx!

cmann886

This one is 2.5 inches long. Sometimes I fold it in half and pull both looped end through the factory loop to make it shorter and then loop the straight tippit through both of the small loops in normal loop-to-loop fashion.

With regards to tender/tippit material, when fishing streamers I use a straight section of Seaguar fluoro usually 6-8 #. When I fish using a small soft hackles I use a regular tapered leader and try hard to not set the hook when the fish bites so I don’t break off the fly...

91FA5155-6C00-4279-8097-FF60DFE6457D.jpeg

Last edited:

cmann886

This is the connection with the double loop doubled over and connected to 8 lb. fluoro.
Doubling over certainly is not needed but I thought it may help readers understand what I was trying to say. These loops save a lot of wear on a factory loop.

IMG_0785.jpg

Last edited:

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
This one is 2.5 inches long. Sometimes I fold it in half and pull both looped end through the factory loop to make it shorter and then loop the straight tippit through both of the small loops in normal loop-to-loop fashion.

With regards to tender/tippit material, when fishing streamers I use a straight section of Seaguar fluoro usually 6-8 #. When I fish using a small soft hackles I use a regular tapered leader and try hard to not set the hook when the fish bites so I don’t break off the fly...

View attachment 234336
Are you buying those or making them yourself?

cmann886

I make them myself. I need to find some more material though. I would much prefer black over yellow and slightly heavier material. The last spool I bought has lasted a couple of decades but has finally disappeared. You could use the nylon loops and make the second loop from the end you usually put the shrink wrap on.

2kayaker

Does the slender 8# line not damage your tip loops?
A couple other options; a regular bikini knot in the mono will give it double loops on one end or I've used an alright knot to join straight mono to the fly line loop , both spread the stress out.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Call me weird, but I cut the loops off and nailknot a #15 butt section to the line with a perfection loop for tying the tippet to.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts