Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rant - Time to step up!

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Sportsman 
#1 ·
Look - we all know there are differences of opinions about fishing (especially steelhead - could not pass that up and probably should of - LOL) or lack thereof, the Corona Virus or life in general. By opening discussion/returning discussion regarding something with someone, especially political or spiritual/religious, which does not agree with you only emboldens their POV and maybe themselves. The best thing to do is jump past their comments, especially in response to your post, or put them in Ignore. While it may make some feel better to argue their POV, does it really help the thread or the board or have a chance of changing the other's POV? ---> NOPE!!!

We are all going through challenging times regarding financial, physical and emotional times to name a few. But the problems we are experiencing are just a microcosm of what the US or the rest of the world is experiencing. Imagine being in Spain or Italy. Imagine what NYC is going through - they are lining up refrigerated trucks for the anticipated deaths in NYC. That could be what we experience in Seattle, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans or where ever we live sooner than we think. Hospitals/doctors could establish priorities on who gets incubation (ventilators) based on age, underlying conditions, ability to survive the treatment, etc. They are already doing that in Europe. BTW I would be SOL for sure...

There are a lot of decisions being made by our elected leaders including the President. For example: What is 'essential' was decided at a pay grade way above us so to speak. While we may agree or disagree we have very little to no impact on what that is or will be. So why worry about it - we can not change it...

We need to recognize and accept the bigger issue/picture/solution. At the same time we can also be a part of the solution within our control. Social distancing is primary to that. If we see no one the virus can not be passed to us nor can we pass it on. With minor/minimal exposure (low risk) we can get the food, drugs, and essentials we need to live. Many of us can no longer work nor pursue what makes us happy. Fishing is one of those things. BUT think about how many businesses were declared 'non-essential' and layoffs were associated with that. Based on this weeks unemployment request numbers for this week - MILLIONS!

We have seen what is happening in our locale. Numerous businesses and people stepping up. A ' cottage' industry' is forming for the good of others. The out-pouring of thanks is global. We can add to that. Donate the hours and/or dollars you could of spent fishing into helping others... Go to a local establishment and say ' I will take food to whom you know needs food and I will pay for it and take it there for free'. Ask in your local community what you can do... They would cherish your support. FYI - I have been a 'Santa Helper' at Children's Hospital for years. I go about making their dreams come true - often with my own gifts. At the end of the night I bawl my heart and soul out but never let on during my visits with those so much in need. I just hope I will be allowed to continue this year...

IMHO what emerges from this pandemic will be stronger and better. We just need to get there. It will take time and sacrifice. But we will get there...

See less See more
#2 ·
Well said! I am staying home, on a medical leave until I go back to work. Most likely it will be Wednesday, 4/1 after seeing my doctor yesterday. I have a note that covers me until 4/6 if I feel I need it, but honestly I want to get back to work, despite being a little scared, since I work at Total Wine and will have the "public" coming in.

I personally don't think we should be classified as "essential" workers, but we are! A liquor license is classified as grocery, so we can stay open. Ironically, in talking with my coworkers, many who are friends we are very busy and our numbers are higher than normal! We offer web orders, where we pull your order, and you come and pick it up at your convenience! It minimizes the amount of time you have to spend in the store, and I think we'll probably start curbside delivery as an option, or may have, not sure.

We have two delivery services, Instacart and Door Dash. As long as you're in there area and willing to pay a bit more, you can get your beer, wine and booze delivered! I hope more people do this, so they don't have to come in and expose me or my friends at work!

I have strong political views on what is going on too. Those of you that know me know what side of the aisle I'm on! I have friends on both sides, and love talking politics, even if I don't agree with you as long as we're both courteous to each other and don't personalize it too much

Anyway, I'm trying to chill while I'm off, keep my stress low for health reasons and get and stay healthy. I am #stayingthefuck home, except for necessary trips. I am actually getting paid for some of my time off from Total Wine, but even with that am looking forward to going back to work soon. Not sure if it will be on the 1st, using the weekend to make the decision. It will be soon though, and I am ready to get back too it! I will get an "essential worker" letter to carry around with me, which I find ironic.

Anyway, I hope you all are good. Like you I want to get out and fish, but have no problem staying in to keep myself safe and keep my exposure risk low. I don't want to get the beer virus, and if I do, I don't want to spread it around to people who are older and worse off than me! I would suggest taking a drive out to a local river or lake, not fishing of course and just getting out in nature a little. I have done it just to get out of the house! I've been mostly at home for 9 days now and was going a bit stir crazy yesterday in particular. I will be heading down to Carnation later today or up to the Sky to check it out..

Cheers!
Bill

#5 ·
… I personally don't think we should be classified as "essential" workers, but we are! A liquor license is classified as grocery, so we can stay open. ...
When the Denver mayor issued his order to close all non-essential businesses, he originally included liquor stores and pot shops in the closure order. This immediately caused a run on these stores with thousands of people lined up to get in before the closure, completely defeating the purpose. When he saw what was happening, he issued an urgent modification exempting those businesses.

#4 ·
I get your point and know that's true, but we allow booze to be sold in grocery stores, drug stores, Costco, some gas stations and other places. My store, Total Wine, Bevmo and other liquor stores are classified as grocery under the liquor license, but could close down or limit people from coming in and just shopping. I am ready to go back to work, and know my company, Total Wine, is doing things very well to protect us, but that only goes so far.

We do ship, deliver and even pick an order for you to come in and pick up quickly. That minimizes your exposure and mine and my coworkers and friends. While we do have some food and NA drinks, the majority of our business is wine, beer and liquor.

#6 ·
Look - we all know there are differences of opinions about fishing (especially steelhead - could not pass that up and probably should of - LOL) or lack thereof, the Corona Virus or life in general. By opening discussion/returning discussion regarding something with someone, especially political or spiritual/religious, which does not agree with you only emboldens their POV and maybe themselves. The best thing to do is jump past their comments, especially in response to your post, or put them in Ignore. While it may make some feel better to argue their POV, does it really help the thread or the board or have a chance of changing the other's POV? ---> NOPE!!!
I respectfully disagree. Discussions on this board have contributed to the evolution of my opinions on various things. Discussion is good when done with respect and knowing how to pick one's battles.

#7 ·
i dare not comment as i have been warned in the past to keep the topics fishing related. but this is a communal group with differences of opinion and i do read and appreciate others thoughts. having closed my FB account because of 'unsolicited' junk coming from who knows where, it would be great if we could have an active discussion here, but it is not allowed and i appreciate that.

#10 ·
In addition to social distancing, I spent over a week of social media distancing (this site primarily). Doing my part to slow the spread of highly contagious BS ... plus I felt somewhat better.

but selfishly I needed a break from isolation so for now I am an exposure risk to others.

Reactions: 4357
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.