Lamiglass S glass conversion

skyrise

I have an old Lamiglass S glass rod I built into a Noodle spinning rod. Any thoughts on trying to convert it into a fly rod? I think it might ruin the blank trying to remove the guides and cork handle ?

para_adams

Is it a fly rod blank? And what length and line weight?

My second fly rod, back in the mid 1980's, was a Lamiglass S, 7-1/2' 5 wt. Back then I thought it was too slow, but I was trying to use it as my only rod and while it shined in close it didn't have the reach I wanted on bigger waters. Now I realize those Lamiglass S rods were actually really nice for the right purpose.

If it was me I'd do it. Carefully soften the wraps with DNA alcohol, then use a razor blade to carefully cut the wraps off, cutting lightly along the edge of the guide feet and being careful not to nick the blank. If you can get one end of the wrap loose it will often unwind easily.

I just removed an old cork grip from my Phillipson fiberglass and that was easy. I used the same blade to cut a groove into the cork, again being careful to avoid nicking the blank, then I pried the cork off. If your replacement cork covers the same spot you don't have to worry about removing the glue residue under the cork. If your replacement cork won't cover that same area, removing the old glue might be a challenge and I'd ask others their thoughts on removal without damaging the blank.

Let us know if you pursue it.

rawalker

I have one of those also! Mine is 9 or 9 1/2 feet long.
These were made to be long, ultra-light spinning rods for steelhead fishing.
If I remember the story correctly, this began with a guy named Dick Swan(n) in Michigan who made his first noodle rods out of those long fiberglass flag poles used on bikes.
He would fish 2# line for Great Lakes steelhead. The rods were so flexible to protect the light line.

skyrise

Yes I built this during the rage back in the 70’s with fishing the Kalama in the summertime with noodle rods. Light line & split shot kinda stuff.
After looking at it I don’t think I can safely get the reel seat off. Oh well maybe I can use it for summer runs again someday ?

rawalker

I might have to get mine out and put a reel on it and see what line weight works with it. Cast it two handed.
I need a reason to get outside for a while.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts