Storing strung rods

Mark Kadoshima

I'm admittedly a lazy fisherman as far as my gear goes...one of the reasons I don't get the really high end rods. I'm going to finally get all my rods and reels organized. I like to store my rods separated in half, fully strung up with the reels attached and ready to go. I have ammo boxes separated into Stream, Lake, SRC, boat salmon, and steelhead and bottom fish. Gotta still get the Muskie box : )
Anyway looking if anyone else stores their rods this way and is it actually okay for the lines? I can't think of any problem for the rod, but for example, the lines will develop a little kink that takes a little time to straighten out, even with some stretching.
If okay....then any ideas as far as storage welcome. Right now I store them in that black PVC in long tubes with the reel keeping the tip of the rod from contacting the end of the tube.
Mark

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
I do it. Don't wind the line so tight and that will help avoid the kink.
I do the same.
I usually use the padded travel tubes that accommodate the loosely strung up rod and reel on the way to the beach, river, lake etc. Never had a problem this way, even with my bamboo.

the_grube

I love these wraps for keeping rods in half and strung up. I reel the fly up to the tip top guide, break the rod in half and use those wraps to keep the pieces together and to keep the line and leader from gettig tangled. If you have the reel cover that's a plus.

Mark Kadoshima

I love these wraps for keeping rods in half and strung up. I reel the fly up to the tip top guide, break the rod in half and use those wraps to keep the pieces together and to keep the line and leader from gettig tangled. If you have the reel cover that's a plus.
Good idea....I've still got a buttload of pipe cleaners from a craft project my daughters did 10 years ago.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
My rods never see a tube unless I am traveling. The rods I fish often stay strung up (stuff I use in Puget Sound) Others put together with reels stored separately. If I fished rivers for trout around here, those would stay strung up too. I travel to do 99% of the time to fish rivers now so those reels are usually off. I store them like this.

50CF0ED1-7C46-445F-A219-9D7B2262BB51.jpeg

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I keep my rods all together when I'm in the season for fishing. All in one piece with the fly in the keeper. Since I tend to shake alot. I will string up 3 rods and a different fly on each. I like to be ready to fish. 2 rods with a dry and one rod set up with 2 nymphs, They stay that way for about 4 months Then as it cools down I will take them apart and store them. I only fish small skinny water, so I will fish 2 3wt's and a 4 wt.

vader

I would ditto being lazy and hating to restring rods. I keep my 2 piece rods strung and in a rod case. The worse part is getting the fly snagged on the lining. Several times I have had to cut of the fly to get the rod out.

Mark Kadoshima

I got all my rods together.....now the question is...do I store them all nicely like @jasmillo and possibly, and rightfully so, get chastised by my wife for having so many rods, or strategically place around the house to make seem less 'bountiful'? I've got a shit-ton of gear rods too.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts