Storing strung rods

JACKspASS

Like Nick I have a room designated for fishing gear, but it has a tendency to overflow throughout the house. I am horrible about putting things up where they belong and doing routine maintenance. I always leave rods strung up and ready to roll, most of my friend don't. They show up on the river with rod tubes and take 20+ min fussing with gear, while I am already fishing immediately. I am looking around right now and I have a rod rack in living room, tackle room, and 2 spring Chinook rods still sitting by the back door. :rolleyes:

Bowbonehead

If I left them all strung up I might be for a lot of grief from the missus based on quantity ..... how are you guys transporting rods to the river/ocean/lake I currently use triple 2 piece rod tubes which allow me to have them in half fully rigged so stream-side prep is minimal I have looked at some of the roof top boxes which allow for a few rods but I drive a truck and usually have someone with me so if we are floating that means a half dozen rods. Creeks are easy as I only bring one. Any ideas are appreciated .....

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I never break them down, they slide in and out of the van like this too :)
Give it some slack and it won't kink.
IMG_20200329_132640.jpg

Freestone

WFF Supporter
If I left them all strung up I might be for a lot of grief from the missus based on quantity ..... how are you guys transporting rods to the river/ocean/lake I currently use triple 2 piece rod tubes which allow me to have them in half fully rigged so stream-side prep is minimal I have looked at some of the roof top boxes which allow for a few rods but I drive a truck and usually have someone with me so if we are floating that means a half dozen rods. Creeks are easy as I only bring one. Any ideas are appreciated .....
I made sure to buy a vehicle that a strung-up 9’ to 9.5’ rod could easily fit into when safely tucked up just below the ceiling. I took one with me when car shopping! At an angle, I can even fit a 10’ rod.

I made a simple rod rack out of paracord that goes across the ceiling grab handles. In the rear, I used apiece of thick elastic cord in addition to the paracord. The rods rest on the eleastic cord just in front of the reel. I used a sliding truckers hitch knot on the paracord which goes behind the reels and when snugged up, everything is secure.

If I have more than two rods up there, I attach a loop of pipe cleaner to the front paracord so the rods don’t get intermingled. This system is easy and cheap and can be removed easily. I also bring thin braided cord with me when I travel and have duplicated this system in many rentals cars.

surfnfish

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jordan Simpson

I usually keep rods strung up seasonally, even my (gasp) gear rods. If it's a rod I'm reaching for constantly during a specific season, I keep it strung up and the line loosely bent at the guides where the sections are in half to avoid 'The Kink'.

Even my drift and center-pin stay lined up during the fall-through-spring season.

Mark Kadoshima

I usually keep rods strung up seasonally, even my (gasp) gear rods. If it's a rod I'm reaching for constantly during a specific season, I keep it strung up and the line loosely bent at the guides where the sections are in half to avoid 'The Kink'.

Even my drift and center-pin stay lined up during the fall-through-spring season.
My curiosity is going to be the end of me. This is off topic, but since I started the thread... why a centrepin vs using a fly rod? Is it more fun to catch on the drift than a fly rod? The reels are works of art, but geez... they are expensive.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Store in a cool, dry place.
All my two piece rods are strung up some with a fly on some not, in travel tubes.
Four piece rods have reels lined on in travel tubes.

Hem

There is hope for our youth. My daughter claimed one of my shirts.
She is cranky doing her schoolwork on the computer and wouldnt smile for the pic.

Attachments

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts