WTB Vise for my 11 year old

socus

My son and I have had a great time time fishing together this spring before covid-19 put an end to our fishing adventures. After a day on Lenice a couple weeks ago he become very interested in tying his own flies. I showed him how to tie a bloodworm and a basic chironomid pattern and he's had a handful of flies ready for inspection every day this week when I've arrived home after work. With the school closure tying has been wonderful activity for a bored homebound kid. He is currently tying with a very basic vise that I purchased in a "learn to tie flies" kit over 20 years ago. The vise he has works but it is really hard to adjust the jaws to get a decent hold on the hook. I'm hopeful that someone on the site has a surplus vise that they are willing to part with. I'm not looking for anything too fancy. An older model with limited features should suit him just fine. The most important thing for him would be a vise that adjusts easily without requiring a ton of finger strength that can hold a hook securely. If you have something that fits the bill please let me know. Thanks!

-Andy

kmudgn

I would look on ebay for a used Thompson Mod. A Very sturdy vise and (important) non rotary so you kid can learn how to manipulate thread. I suspect they are less than $ 25

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
My son and I have had a great time time fishing together this spring before covid-19 put an end to our fishing adventures. After a day on Lenice a couple weeks ago he become very interested in tying his own flies. I showed him how to tie a bloodworm and a basic chironomid pattern and he's had a handful of flies ready for inspection every day this week when I've arrived home after work. With the school closure tying has been wonderful activity for a bored homebound kid. He is currently tying with a very basic vise that I purchased in a "learn to tie flies" kit over 20 years ago. The vise he has works but it is really hard to adjust the jaws to get a decent hold on the hook. I'm hopeful that someone on the site has a surplus vise that they are willing to part with. I'm not looking for anything too fancy. An older model with limited features should suit him just fine. The most important thing for him would be a vise that adjusts easily without requiring a ton of finger strength that can hold a hook securely. If you have something that fits the bill please let me know. Thanks!

-Andy
Where do you live? I have stuff I'll give an 11 year old, including a vise.

Jerry Daschofsky

WFF Supporter
If you can wait until next weekend I'll have a bunch of stuff to give him. Stuff to start him out. I'll even ship it since I'm assuming you still live in Seattle. I'm going through my stuff next weekend and will have some stuff for him.

socus

If you can wait until next weekend I'll have a bunch of stuff to give him. Stuff to start him out. I'll even ship it since I'm assuming you still live in Seattle. I'm going through my stuff next weekend and will have some stuff for him.

Jerry, thank you so much for your generous offer! He is going to be thrilled. We're in no rush here so next weekend would be great. You guessed correctly about Seattle so I'll PM you to work out shipping. Thank you.

-Andy

Jerry Daschofsky

WFF Supporter
Jerry, thank you so much for your generous offer! He is going to be thrilled. We're in no rush here so next weekend would be great. You guessed correctly about Seattle so I'll PM you to work out shipping. Thank you.

-Andy
No worries. I'll gladly cover shipping. I'm working massive OT right now.

Got your message. Did you lock it up for no replies?

redband02

Howdy Socus:

The best vise for small hands I have found is the Griffin Montana Pro vise. When I taught fly tying at middle school the kids hand strength was not enough to handle my stock of Regal vises so I invested in some Griffin Montana Pro and Griffin Superior 1A vises. A hook in a Pro or 1A vise will not move.
Jerry has made you a fine offer of a vise and materials. If the vise doesn't work out, I have a Montana Pro Vise II or a Montana Superior 2A fine point vise I would be willing to let go. The Montana Pro Vise II is the regular Montana Pro Vise with a base instead of a clamp and comes with a carrying case. The Superior 2A fine point is just like a 1A but with very fine jaws for very small flies. But it holds regular size hooks well. Good for you to be teaching fly tying to your son during this difficult time.
Tom

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts