Weekday Anglers

Phish Guy

I moved to Tacoma from Minnesota (born n raised) in November of 2018 with my gf seeking: mountains, the ocean, and fly fishing! I steelhead (or rainbow trout to the purists) back in MN so when we pulled out a map and were deciding where out west we should move to I said Washington! 2 mountain ranges, volcanoes, ocean, sound, desert, rainforest, trout, .....and obviously steelhead! Needless to say it was an easy decision. We love it out here! I’ve had a lot of fun exploring and fishing the OP, the Yakima, naches, Rocky, and a bunch of other places... but there’s always been something missing...... a fishing buddy!!

My gf does not fish, which is fine! I gotta give her a lot of credit for walking through some of the thick forest we have just so I can check out a potential fishing spot. But ya know, she’s doin her own thing or staying at home or at the campsite. I’m fine with fishing alone and everything but I’ve come to realize that, for me at least, fishing is funnest with a fishing bud.

I’ve only ever fished with my dad a couple times and a friend one time when they have visited. So I’ve done a lot of exploring on my own, but I’ve noticed I always go that extra mile when with a fishing buddy.

Anyways long story short. I work weekend night shift so I have Monday-Friday (at 5pm) off every week. Perfect for low pressure on all rivers and lakes! I would love to connect up with anyone, get out there and do some fishing! Day trips for me are anywhere from 1-3hrs (one way) so I’m definitely down to go wherever.

I know this is terrible timing haha. But figured I could get the ball rolling and maybe get some plans made.

I’m not asking for anyone to show me the ropes or their spots. Just looking for Some fishing buds! Who knows I might have a fishing hole you don’t know about!

Stay safe out there eh!

Last edited:

Nooksack Mac

Phish, it might help to let others know what you bring to the table, other than a likeable, optimistic personality. Is your car a reliable, economic fishing vehicle? (Extra points for roof racks and a trailer hitch.) People with a good fishing boat need never fish alone.

Phish Guy

Haha you make a good point.
Jeep that’s gotten me to many spots all over the state. It’s pretty reliable... but also 32 years old. It does have a trailer hitch, electronics do work for that as well. I’m always down to drive and go wherever. Can strap just about anything to the roof.

I have no water craft of any sort though.
I got rods and gear for pretty much any situation out here... I think. Although I lack a steelhead net... haven’t needed one yet though ha ha :(

I know some great spots with in the Wenatchee forest.

other then that not much really. Just that likable optimistic personality and as mentioned before In OP I’m free on weekdays.

Last edited:

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Welcome Phish Guy! You forgot some additional very important factors... do you drink scotch? do you smoke or at least tolerate cigars or guys who smoke cigars? Are you into IPA's or good beer? j/k sort of.

You're doing everything right! It takes time. WA is great because we can fish year round! Expect during a Coronavirus pandemic! Or when the river's are blown! Or when it snows more than a 1/4"! (only for some, not me) Except when it's too cold.. not if you're a winter steelheader...

I would suggest posting that you're going out on day _______... would anyone like to join? I've fished with and become friends with guys on this board for many years! I would offer to drive, bring the beer or drink of choice, bring lunch or hold their hands when it was too cold! No one took me up on that last thing.. yet!

The other way I learned where and when to go, was to go when I had the time to the place that was in the timeframe that I had! If the river level looked good and I had the time I went! I put in the miles, just ask Old man! I dragged him all over the place, mainly for trout, and he was my GPS and showed me more than I could have figured out in the 20 years that I've been chasing tail... he isn't very good for the bar scence though!

I also met and pestered guys to go fish with me, or take me along in their boats! They helped me with my casting, single and double handed casting, showed me where to fish and when was the best time. They taught me how to read the water, both for fishing and for rowing a boat! Ron, Brian, Bhudda and many others!

One of my closest friends now, has taught all about fishing for sea run cutthroat trout and naps! I ended up working with him a Orvis for 5 years or so. And have fished with him all over the state, f or steelhead and sea run's! I've met a ton of people through him too...

So go out and get it done! Instead of looking for a buddy, just post an open seat, when you are going! And then go, even if no one responds.. a bad day fishing, is still better than a good day at work!

I'll let you know when I get FFTinder.com up and running... my latest project, while practicing #physicaldistancing #stayhome #itsreal :cool:;):D

Phish Guy

Welcome Phish Guy! You forgot some additional very important factors... do you drink scotch? do you smoke or at least tolerate cigars or guys who smoke cigars? Are you into IPA's or good beer? j/k sort of.

You're doing everything right! It takes time. WA is great because we can fish year round! Expect during a Coronavirus pandemic! Or when the river's are blown! Or when it snows more than a 1/4"! (only for some, not me) Except when it's too cold.. not if you're a winter steelheader...

I would suggest posting that you're going out on day _______... would anyone like to join? I've fished with and become friends with guys on this board for many years! I would offer to drive, bring the beer or drink of choice, bring lunch or hold their hands when it was too cold! No one took me up on that last thing.. yet!

The other way I learned where and when to go, was to go when I had the time to the place that was in the timeframe that I had! If the river level looked good and I had the time I went! I put in the miles, just ask Old man! I dragged him all over the place, mainly for trout, and he was my GPS and showed me more than I could have figured out in the 20 years that I've been chasing tail... he isn't very good for the bar scence though!

I also met and pestered guys to go fish with me, or take me along in their boats! They helped me with my casting, single and double handed casting, showed me where to fish and when was the best time. They taught me how to read the water, both for fishing and for rowing a boat! Ron, Brian, Bhudda and many others!

One of my closest friends now, has taught all about fishing for sea run cutthroat trout and naps! I ended up working with him a Orvis for 5 years or so. And have fished with him all over the state, f or steelhead and sea run's! I've met a ton of people through him too...

So go out and get it done! Instead of looking for a buddy, just post an open seat, when you are going! And then go, even if no one responds.. a bad day fishing, is still better than a good day at work!

I'll let you know when I get FFTinder.com up and running... my latest project, while practicing #physicaldistancing #stayhome #itsreal :cool:;):D
scotch, cigars, beers, and all the above, yes my good sir!

I have yet to encounter “too cold” in this state! so any conditions, minus a pandemic, I’m there!

Thanks for all the advice man, I think I’ll definitely post up when I have an open seat!

Im always surveying the state with maps and checking regs and access, definitely the best way to find some good water and time on water of course.

stay healthy flybill!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info