Support your local Fly Shop

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Thanks - I'm sure both fly lines and top end rods are high profit for the manufacturers.
I wasn't looking for guesses, though, so much as wondering if anyone has actual first-hand knowledge of which items the fly shop makes more on. As in, a $500 rod, 5 $100 lines, or $500 worth of flies or feathers?

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Fly shops will need to adapt/implement a changing business model in order to survive IMHO. Online/phone orders are an ever increasing source of revenue. With this pandemic it is the business model that will support (barely) continuation of a business. Other businesses are doing the same...

My wife now only uses online orders for food from grocery stores with curbside pickup. My local wine shop supports online/phone orders with curbside pickup. My pharmacy does the same. Many restaurants are doing that also.. Is it a long-term solution? NO but it allows them to barely survive which is better than losing them by closing in the long run. Once we get past the current crisis they will blossom with gratitude from all that they did what they needed to survive and support us along the way.

Hem

I was told by a former shop owner lines cost about $20. This was about 10 years ago.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I decorated a couple trees and a few submerged branches during last week's outing and needed hooks and tippet to replace what I lost. I called Puget Sound Fly Company but got no answer. Gig Harbor Fly Shop is set up for online orders so I ordered from them.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Since I moved to Butte I haven't found a friendly fly shop. All they have is a few pawn shops and a few big box stores. I don't shop in the bigger store as they are unfriendly. The pawn shops don't have much variety, so I don't waste any time there.

When I lived in Dillon, I hit two shops all the time. Matter of fact, I think we are going to move back to Dillon soon. Close to fly fishing heaven.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
This is old information from when a friend owned and operated a fly shop. Fly rods have the smallest profit margin since the major brands are fair traded, but big stores like Cabela's gets Sage rods for a much lower wholesale price than the small shops that order just a few at a time. Fly tying materials have, or had, the largest profit margin, where a piece of chenille that costs 3 cents is wrapped on a card, put in a plastic bag and sells for 2 or 3 dollars. So I speculate that a shop will make more profit selling us flies and fly tying materials, as long as they sell enough volume than if we buy another rod that they make a few bucks on.

Rob Allen

Leaders and tippet are high margin... so consider refitting yourself that way.

Hundred bucks and you coukd have new leaders and 100 yard spools of all sizes

gt

do any of you know if Dave actually sold Waters West?? was in there before the lock down and no bella to great me at the door. now some sort of 'rat dog' and a gal behind the counter. just curious.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
This is old information from when a friend owned and operated a fly shop. Fly rods have the smallest profit margin since the major brands are fair traded, but big stores like Cabela's gets Sage rods for a much lower wholesale price than the small shops that order just a few at a time. Fly tying materials have, or had, the largest profit margin, where a piece of chenille that costs 3 cents is wrapped on a card, put in a plastic bag and sells for 2 or 3 dollars. So I speculate that a shop will make more profit selling us flies and fly tying materials, as long as they sell enough volume than if we buy another rod that they make a few bucks on.
I have heard very similar things. Flies & tying materials is where its at. Even if they make a few hundred selling a top end sage rod+reel+line combo, the volume just isn't there. Similar scenario in golf: golf balls is where the money is at compared to a new $500 driver.

Bowbonehead

I was in the sporting goods business for 40+ years 3 shops plus warehouse ski/snowboard The money is in the little stuff ie flies, hooks, hats , gink etc.... Bigger items are rarely keystone more likely 30 to 40 margin and clothing is usually keystone unless its a clear-out this means a jacket that sells for 200.00 costs the shop 100.00 I know that we were eager to get rid of anything after the season so we would have open to buy on close outs. This is one of the reasons you see rod models for a number of years as there is not a lot of margin on something the shops do not sell a lot off. Skis were much the same as far as profit goes and bikes are even worse but they get people in the door so after you sell a rod/ski the trick is to sell the add ons .......

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I shop online, then go to the store. We only have a small sportsmans now, but we were without for a long time. I've made quite a list as I'm learning to tie new stuff and actually ran out of the 100 pack of 8 3xl's I bought at Avid angler for 95cents when they were at 15th and Roosevelt. My problem is not enough money! I'm putting the stupid kid through school again. But he bought the boat. 20190815_091027.jpg

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
I phoned The Worley Bugger in E'burg and they filled an order for me.

Pat, thanks for posting that. I was there before the "Stay at Home" Proclamation. Seems like every time I go in there I forget a list. More accurately, I never Make a list. I have been watching a lot of You tube tying and found a lot of patterns but need a lot of odd materials. Like Caribou skin!!! Why would some demented person spec that.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts