Support your local Fly Shop

tumblefly

I was in the sporting goods business for 40+ years 3 shops plus warehouse ski/snowboard The money is in the little stuff ie flies, hooks, hats , gink etc.... Bigger items are rarely keystone more likely 30 to 40 margin and clothing is usually keystone unless its a clear-out this means a jacket that sells for 200.00 costs the shop 100.00 I know that we were eager to get rid of anything after the season so we would have open to buy on close outs. This is one of the reasons you see rod models for a number of years as there is not a lot of margin on something the shops do not sell a lot off. Skis were much the same as far as profit goes and bikes are even worse but they get people in the door so after you sell a rod/ski the trick is to sell the add ons .......
Roger that! Same thoughts from me. Been there done that. Ran an Anderson's Sporting Goods store in Oregon.

Jakob B

Washington Native and college age angler
Thanks - I'm sure both fly lines and top end rods are high profit for the manufacturers.
I wasn't looking for guesses, though, so much as wondering if anyone has actual first-hand knowledge of which items the fly shop makes more on. As in, a $500 rod, 5 $100 lines, or $500 worth of flies or feathers?
Fly shops stay in the black through tippet, leaders, and the ten most popular patterns they sell. Everything else is difficult to turnover and has low margins.

Jakob - a fly shop employee

creekx

Director of Stoke
A friend of mine had his fly shop broken into about 30 years ago. He called me and others to help him look for stuff and clean up. When I arrived, I saw they had made off with a bunch of Sage and Loomis rods, and high-end reels. Broke a few rods on the way out too. These rods and reels were the stuff I'd drool over, so it seemed pretty devastating to me. He then pointed to the bins of flies, the racks of clothing and I think even the books (?) and said those were the more valuable items to him, not the rods and reels. I had no idea.

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
As a local shop owner and local fly tying manufacturer, I cant agree more with all of this. Now more than ever, the industry will need all the help we can give. I personally can't thank all those that support us enough and I know all the other shop owners and industry professionals whom you support feel the same way. We have an incredible fly fishing community here in Washington!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I went with a selection of lines, flies, and materials from Avid. Figured those are easy and cheap to ship as well.
Thanks for the input, all!

@Northern
Do you know if Ryan and crew are they letting customers in the store or just taking phone orders and shipping things?
Thanks
SF

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
@Northern
Do you know if Ryan and crew are they letting customers in the store or just taking phone orders and shipping things?
Thanks
SF

According to their FB, the shop is closed. I didn't ask, but my assumption is that they're complying with the nonessential business mandates. The guys are in the shop packing up orders and placing orders with suppliers.
I used the Hareline exportable wish list to pick out all kinds of stuff I "need"

Porter

@Northern
Thanks
SF

Been by LFP a couple times (Albertsons). The fly shop has been closed. The parking lot, which is usually full of parked cars, has been quite empty past couple of weeks. I believe besides FB they are responding to emails too.

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
WFF Supporter
Do you have a physical location or is it just online?
We are just online for the time being but hope to open a physical location and some point! In saying that we do meet up with customers regularly if there is something that you would like to see first hand after all of this passes!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts