hiding out!

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
well what else could i think of beside a gourmet dinner for 2. mashed potatoes topped with roasted asparagus spears with halibut cheeks on top of that smothered in Beurre Blanc, wow.
Halibut cheeks!!! Love halibut cheeks — sweet like scallops... as long as u don’t cook em stringy. A real treat I hope you enjoyed!

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
sort of like comparing brisket to fillet, the absolute best part of a halibut.

My days as a deckhand taught me to hate cheeks, mainly because the halibut we catch in Westport arent very big and I hated when people requested I check their 20 lb halibut. Cheeks came out about the size of a half dollar.

Taste wise I have just never really noticed them to be anything special. Then again, I think halibut in general is pretty boring, as far as white meat fish goes.

That said, I certainly wouldn't turn down that meal!

gt

i understand we all have different tastes, no problem at all. halibut is definitely the most desirable in this household. I don't like 'fishy' tasting meals so when i do salmon, i remove the skin and then the gray fat layer. lots and lots of people we know really like to eat that gray fat. so whatever you enjoy, go for it, halibut for me hands down.

Pescaphile

Halibut is the fish for people who don't like fish. I like it, but also I like beefsteak, chicken, . . .

King salmon skin is absolutely scrumptious when when crispy. The best part!

fishbadger

Any advice on cooking/prepping your cheeks? I always try to do mine with the rest of the fillet chunk, and end up overcooking the crap out of it, and turn out too tough. We usually throw the little halibut back and keep the bigger ones for meat volume, so the cheeks are meal-worthy in size. Do you just pan-sear on a hot skittle?

gt

skin off the meat, in a saucepan, no higher than medium heat, dredge in flour, put in preheated pan with butter and a dash of oil, maybe 2 minutes to a side, that's it. really easy to overcook fish so watch the sides of the fish and pretty soon you will be able to tell when to turn. and again, no higher than medium heat, easy to do on a gas cooktop.

Last edited:

gt

Halibut is the fish for people who don't like fish. I like it, but also I like beefsteak, chicken, . . .

King salmon skin is absolutely scrumptious when when crispy. The best part!
in the olden days coming into the dock at Depoe Bay i would keep my eyes open for someone with silvers. i would trade straight across, chinook for a silver, weight made no difference, flavor was the decider for me. way too much fat on chinook salmon for my palette.

Pescaphile

You certainly would've had a willing trading partner in me! I'm fortunate enough that I get to choose the salmon I take for food and pretty much only eat kings (red and white) and sockeyes. All the others are good if bright but those are tops IMO.

You're right though it's what one prefers. My favorite part of a king salmon is the belly (fattiest) meat but it doesn't sound like that's your cup of tea.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts