What are you watching?

Birdsnest

My wife and I are addicted to British/Australian/New Zealand streaming detective series. We get them from Acorn and Britbox. There's so many different ones we watch I couldn't tell you the names of all of them. There is an older Sherlock Holmes series I watch that has the weirdest character as Sherlock Holmes I've ever seen. His expressions and mannerisms are a hoot. One our favorites is from Broken Wood from New Zealand... but we're now waiting for a new season to start.

My wife and I have gotten into the Britbox detective shows. I have not seen Broken Wood but will check it out if it is on Britbox. I really liked Shetland and Trapped, which is filmed in Iceland.

Buzzy

I loved the books too and also liked the Swedish version of the movies better, tho I did like the Dan Craig one also. I watched all of them in one weekend around the holidays a few years ago.
Just finished watching the three Swedish films. I did have to pause, backup and replay to catch quickly changing subtitles....... really well done films.

2kayaker

Just been saying “YouTube fly fishing” into the Comcast remote control and letting the videos roll through.
Some are good high quality fishing video.
Other look like the director of The Blair Witch project was a fly fisher.
The chest mounted Go Pro where all you see is the anglers hands and reel when they hook up are always classics. Adding some shitty music doesn’t make them any better.
SF
Comedy, Sarah Millican on Youtube.

creekx

Director of Stoke
We started watching Cheers on Netflix. It was and still is one of the funniest shows ever. Season 1, Episode 5 had this clip which is so funny and appropriate now:

Hatty

AlmazanKitchen on youtube. It's mesmerizing. Meditative. I was blown away. There's no dialogue. No recipes. Just a hermit ninja monk chef of the woodland. 2 huge thumbs up. Do yourself a favor.

Sportsman

I've always been a news junkie, but lately that obsession has made my lousy sleep habits even worse. I have hundreds of DVDs, no piracy, mostly mindless shoot em ups, but not all. Huge fan of Clancy's books and they are usually decent movies. I find watching rerun movies better than taking one of my wife's sleeping pills! I really enjoy clever mysteries and spy shit. Thinking of starting '24' all over again... maybe even Burn Notice! Got them all. Better than drugs, drink or a shrink!

Last edited:
D

dld

I've always been a news junkie, but lately that obsession has made my lousy sleep habits even worse. I have hundreds of DVDs, no piracy, mostly mindless shoot em ups, but not all. Huge fan of Clancy's books and they are usually decent movies. I find watching rerun movies better than taking one of my wife's sleeping pills! I really enjoy clever mysteries and spy shit. Thinking of starting '24' all over again... maybe even Burn Notice! Got them all. Better than drugs, drink or a shrink!

The Amazon 'Jack Ryan' series is pretty decent.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Gadzooks! I'm really out of it. I need to get the TV I inherited from my late Dad hooked up. Its a "wall mount" and I'm having trouble deciding which wall I want to ruin. The wall upon where it would do the least aesthetic harm to my feng shui, would probably give me a stiff neck, unless I reposition my easy chair. Dang idiot box has been collecting dust on the backside of the couch for nearly 15 months now.
I watch some stuff on my computer, but I'm still on a copper wire.....i'm going back to fiber for only a few dollars more....soon!

Sportsman

The Amazon 'Jack Ryan' series is pretty decent.
Bought most 10+ years ago. EBay had 2-3 companies that specialized in them. Always after Christmas and with blue ray being the next best thing, DVDs were cheap. Now with 260 channel Comcast, about all I watch is Nat-geo or discovery. It's Julie's only escape from being disabled, otherwise I wouldn't have it or even have a land line.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Digging around my attic, I found a box of paperback books that I hadn't read, yet. Not that I am lacking any real world plans to help kill time, nevertheless, I pulled one out to read. You know, in order to carve out a bit of escape from the horror of worrying about this coronavirus...
Luck of the draw.....first grab from the box....:eek:Richard Preston's best seller, The Hot Zone.

SilverFly

For anyone interested in saltwater fishing destinations, heres a show worth checking out.

Just binge-watched seasons 1-3 of "Local Knowledge" on Amazon Prime. It's a saltwater fishing series produced by the San Diego based website "Bloody Decks", or less offensively, "BD Outdoors". While there's little fly fishing, and it does have a slight "bubba" factor, it's well produced and very informative. In each episode they pick apart the key elements of the fishery. Things like structure, temperature, prey species, "match the hatch", bird behavior, migration patterns, rigging, etc.. etc...

One of the things I particularly like about the show is that the host wanted to meld East coast knowledge/experience/perspective when exploring the various destinations. With that in mind he wisely sought out one of the better guides from Key West to partner with. So there's this East/West coast contrast in that starts from the first episode. The resultant knowledge sharing, and mutual learning, is interesting to watch evolve.. The bulk of the shows alternate between San Diego and the Keys, but they also visit Baja, Guatemala, Venice LA, and the GBR in Australia. Havent watched seasons 4 & 5 yet but they add some Alaska episodes and other new destinations.

In spite of the limited fly content, I watch it from a FF perspective, taking mental notes on appropriate lines, retrieves, patterns in a given situation. In some episodes it's clear there just isn't much opportunity for FF. In others, I can barely stand to watch these guys pick up a gear rod when I know FF would be effective and a 100X more fun. Tuna fishing oil rigs in the Venice LA episode was killing me.

Anyway, in spite of what some may think, fishing is fishing and there's a metric crap ton of saltwater knowledge on this show that can translate well into FF... with an open mind. YMMV.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Got me a new book today. "Killer take all". By William W. Johnstone. A western shoot em up. I must have about 100 books by this author alone. Some I read all the time. Some just once.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
My wife and I are addicted to British/Australian/New Zealand streaming detective series. We get them from Acorn and Britbox. There's so many different ones we watch I couldn't tell you the names of all of them. There is an older Sherlock Holmes series I watch that has the weirdest character as Sherlock Holmes I've ever seen. His expressions and mannerisms are a hoot. One our favorites is from Broken Wood from New Zealand... but we're now waiting for a new season to start.

Shetland on Britbox is a really good one. Filmed mostly on the Shetlands the environment and regional culture make it far more interesting than an urban setting. Plus all the main characters are cops without guns and I don't remember any car crashes or large explosions. Imagine that.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts