Spey Rod Setup..?

cdnred

New to fly fishing and I managed to pickup a great deal on a (new) Sage Graphite IV 8126-3 (discontinued but with a blank registration card) fly rod complete with a fully loaded G Loomis Synrotech GL 8 9 10 (as new but discontinued) fly reel online thru a private listing for $300 USD. Does it appear that this rod and reel would be considered to be "balanced" together for use as a spey package for steelhead and salmon..? What's your thoughts and opinions on it, good deal..?

The reel came fully loaded with line but I was told that it'll need to be replaced for better performance. I'm planning to take them in to my local fly shop to get a proper running line for this setup. I'm planning to use this setup for fresh water steelhead and salmon in the Great Lakes watershed area both lakes and rivers.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
Nice rod, not sure about the reel, and I would definitely get some running line and new heads. Seems like a fair deal to me. Enjoy!

Mark Kadoshima

Im still relatively new to spey (about 4 years) but when learning it is so much like learning a new golf swing. A good knowledgeable fly shop (about spey) will really help in choosing the line. The weight and length of the line is critical. They can usually look up what the best weight range is and I found it easier as I was learning to go toward the heavier end. As I improved I feel more comfortable with the lighter lines. Skagit vs Scandi becomes a whole new argument. They should be able to tell you what works best on your waters. A couple lessons is the most important!
Spey casting is absolutely joyous....

Jim Darden

get with your local shop (or a competent buddy) and put a few different lines on the rod to find the one that makes it "sing". It would be easy for a newbie to spend more than the cost of the rod and reel trying to do this on their own!!!.......beware!

jfilip85

Yea that was an absolute steal. One of my favorite sage rods of all time.

That said, it's a "euro" action and a bit on the fast side which is not always the best for people new to spey casting. You may consider leaning towards the upper end of the grain window (or possibly a little beyond) until you develop some feel for the timing of your cast. You can then start to lighten the load over time and truly uncover the magic of that rod.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts