Traveling With a Spey Rod Tube

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Moving back to Hawaii to live with my parents now that school is online. Does anyone have any experience with flying and specifically carrying on a spey rod tube? I've done a normal fly rod tube but the spey rod tube is a good 1/2 longer. The rod is a 4 piece 13'6.

NRC

WFF Supporter
No experience here, but I gotta think that there’s gonna be plenty of room on the plane for it right now! Hope it works out

SpokaneFisherman

Moving back to Hawaii to live with my parents now that school is online. Does anyone have any experience with flying and specifically carrying on a spey rod tube? I've done a normal fly rod tube but the spey rod tube is a good 1/2 longer. The rod is a 4 piece 13'6.
I took a Simms Bounty Hunter 6 Spey rod cannon to Alaska. I "hate checked it" without any problems.

SpokaneFisherman

I apologize I wasn't very specific and perhaps my limited experience doesn't help you. I did not check my rods. I carried them to the boarding gate and left them with the attendant. They then had them waiting for me on the ramp when we arrived in Anchorage.

I was told that the tube was too long for the overhead compartment. Whether this is true or not idk. At any rate I was able to avoid checking the rods which as my main goal. Your mileage may vary.

Justin mitchell

You should check with the air line you are flying with they might not let you carry any rods on the rules seam to change often in my recent experience best of luck or you can leave them with me and I will keep them cold and wet in the northwest

Mark Kadoshima

I have not had problems with either Alaska or Hawaiian Air in the past. I would think they're so happy to see you, they'd give your rods an entire row and seat belted in. But going to AK, like @SpokaneFisherman said, my rods got place down below at the gate, but no problems. You'll know they're at least on top of all the luggage.

teerex

If you manage to carry it on, ask the flight attendant if they can put it in the locker for you. (It's the closet the crew uses.) Had some success with that. Just put a luggage tag on it in case you somehow forget it there.

landlocked

WFF Supporter
I carried my 13’ 4 piece every time I flew back to Pdx from SLC. Sometimes it was in a Skywest regional jet. Never had to check it, fit in overhead bin every time.

Gregobr

WFF Supporter
I’ve travelled with 12’6” and 13’ 4 piece spey rods many times and never had an issue carrying them on and placing them in the overhead. I have had to completely remove them from the tubes and socks before at TSA, but never had an issue once past them. The only place I might see an issue is on a smaller turbo prop like Alaska/Horizon flies, as those overhead bins may be too short. I’ve carried them on Alaska, Southwest, Delta.

2kayaker

Isn't there a 14 day isolation requirement for arriving in Hi?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info