New to Fly Tying

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
@eastwa I met up with him and he took the books. He was very happy to receive them for sure. I am sure it will help with his tying. All I asked is for him to 'pay it forward' to the next fly tyer at the same price he paid. Zero.

Darby

There was a site called the, Limp Cobra. It had the best and most complete article on dubbing. I think the only place you can find it now is in achieves, but it'll definitely answer all your questions on dubbing:

eastwa

@eastwa I met up with him and he took the books. He was very happy to receive them for sure. I am sure it will help with his tying. All I asked is for him to 'pay it forward' to the next fly tyer at the same price he paid. Zero.
I have received the copies that he wasn’t using, and have been looking at lots of tying videos.
Thanks for your help.

eastwa

There was a site called the, Limp Cobra. It had the best and most complete article on dubbing. I think the only place you can find it now is in achieves, but it'll definitely answer all your questions on dubbing:

Thanks for the link. Was scared to google “Limp Cobra”. Was pretty sure I would end up at a site that had nothing to do with fishing...

Last edited:

JamesRPL+

Been enjoying all of the COVID-coping content, so consider this my contribution. Since early March I've REALLY been wishing I had taken a fly-tying class given current events. When things really started to escalate lockdown-wise it became clear that signing up for the next class at my local fly shop wasn't going to happen, so with the help of youtube some local(ish) online orders, I decided to get after it the best I could.

Vice and tools arrived on Monday and I would summarize my progress this week as follows: abominations of elk hair, dubbing and thread --> materials on a hook that would be technically legal in fly fishing only waters --> flies I might furtively tie on and fish if no one was watching.

I purposely made several "mistakes," such as starting out with size 12 and 14 dries and soft hackles rather than easier patterns because that's what I usually fish, making due with materials that were available now and "close" rather than exact recipes, etc. Times being what they are, I figured it was good to get roughly the right materials and get in my reps. Once again this forum was a wealth of information and I'm really glad I followed the advice in older threads to put together my own "kit" with a quality beginner's vise (Griffin 1A pedestal) and tools rather than buy one of the cheapo all inclusive kits.

For everyone's amusement, here's a picture of some of my better results after a few days of practice:

View attachment 233132

Clockwise, they are my attempts with available materials at a comparadun/sparkle dun, messing around type soft hackle pattern, x-caddis, and gray hackle. For the messing around one, seems like graboid or tiger king would be a good name. Thoughts?

Next batch of materials already on order from a local fly shop.

Stay safe and be well.

Andy
These should fish well, the flies of the northwest is about as good as any books out there

JamesRPL+

1965 my Mom bought me a fly tying kit, it was maybe 20 dollars and was a real jewel. Rough edges on the vice that would cut the thread and such but remember, my Dad earned maybe 3 or 4 bucks an hour so that was quite a prize .I spent many evenings tying with feathers I had found and most were damn ugly but it was great.

redband02

I took my favorite fly tying books to Staples. They were able to spiral bound those books for a small fee, 4 or 5 dollars or so. Really nice to have spiral bound books on the desk as they lay flat and the pages last longer

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts