Offshore

Mems

GLyp9tel.jpg

Aloha, went out yesterday. Calm seas in the morning, even some snow on Mauna Kea.
Had an ono strike on the way out. Tore up the lure, but the fish shook the hook.
Hit a buoy and found it loaded with small tuna. Had an ono on my spin rod, but it cut the line.
iOpOIHGl.jpg

Headed to another buoy and ran into some nice mahi. Sharks showed up and scared the school of mahi off.
9EU5uVpl.jpg

Managed to get some ahi there. Lots of Poke for tonight. Hope you all get a chance to get out. Mems.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
@Mems I worked as a deckhand on a sportfisher out of Kona for a spell way back in the mid ‘70’s and some of the most fun I had was reeling in the fly caught little Ahi-looking fish, like the one in your photo. We’d go out at daybreak and troll fast to get the day’s bait. We would use them for for the “sports” to try for Marlin. Maybe it was just a related species- Bonita maybe. The bigger ones like the one in the photo caught our biggest Marlin.
Any insight on that to refresh my memory as to what we actually were catching/using? It was a long time ago!

Rogue Fanatic

GLyp9tel.jpg

Aloha, went out yesterday. Calm seas in the morning, even some snow on Mauna Kea.
Had an ono strike on the way out. Tore up the lure, but the fish shook the hook.
Hit a buoy and found it loaded with small tuna. Had an ono on my spin rod, but it cut the line.
iOpOIHGl.jpg

Headed to another buoy and ran into some nice mahi. Sharks showed up and scared the school of mahi off.
9EU5uVpl.jpg

Managed to get some ahi there. Lots of Poke for tonight. Hope you all get a chance to get out. Mems.
How big is your boat? How small is too small to get (near) offshore for those pelagics?

Mems

Questions the bait fish you used for marlin were probably aku, skip jack tuna. Boat size is an 18 foot Force brand. They are built here in Hilo and designed for our rough seas. We went 16 miles off shore to one buoy. The other buoy is our closest at only 6 miles. Yes that whole in the mahi is from a cookie cutter shark.
I am trying to stay safe. Working from home for school. Staying out of stores. Got stocked up on meds, food, etc. Eric is a good friend and he has been doing the same. Right now we have had 25 cases on the big island with 15 recovered. I hope it stays low, but Honolulu will not be good next week. Lanai is the best place to be with no cases as well as Niihau.
Next couple of weeks are going to be devastating to our country. I have family all over the country and pray each day for you all.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
Questions the bait fish you used for marlin were probably aku, skip jack tuna. Boat size is an 18 foot Force brand. They are built here in Hilo and designed for our rough seas. We went 16 miles off shore to one buoy. The other buoy is our closest at only 6 miles. Yes that whole in the mahi is from a cookie cutter shark.
I am trying to stay safe. Working from home for school. Staying out of stores. Got stocked up on meds, food, etc. Eric is a good friend and he has been doing the same. Right now we have had 25 cases on the big island with 15 recovered. I hope it stays low, but Honolulu will not be good next week. Lanai is the best place to be with no cases as well as Niihau.
Next couple of weeks are going to be devastating to our country. I have family all over the country and pray each day for you all.
Thank you

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info