Wanted Fly rod and reel for 9 year old.

SERE Nate

I have been teaching my 9 year old neighbor kid how to cast. Hes got pretty good form and can cast 30-40 feet at this point. The issue is that I am letting him borrow my redington crosswater 6 weight and its just to big for him. After about 10 min of practice his forearm is hurting and he cant stop from breaking his wrist. He does pretty well when I tuck the rod seat in his sleeve. I'd like to find him a short and light weight 4 or 5 weight rod. Was thinking about picking up the cabelas CGR for him as I hear they are great little rods. This will be for mostly fishing for smaller trout from a boat.

Anyone got something that they'd sell me before I go buy new? Would prefer a rod/reel combo and would like to keep costs at or under $100 if thats even possible.

jfilip85

See if you can find a used Echo Gecko since a new combo is a bit out of your price range. Hard to beat for what you are looking for.

Reactions: JS

Phil Fravel

Friendly
As wired as this might sound i taught my son also at the age of 8 with a 6wt. I had the same problem.

Once i diagnosed the problem it just became a line speed issue so i taught him to double haul at 8 also.

All problems went away. See if you can teach him the doublehaul.

If thats not an option get him a 3wt. Around 7 foot. If he dosent use it you will.

SERE Nate

What about the Echo Base? Probably not much of a difference between that and the crosswater?

I'd spend a little more for the right setup for him. Hes a good kid, his dad doesn't fish, and he's always asking me to go. I've been pretty fortunate through these last months and am still working and business has been pretty good. I'd like to do something nice for this kid.

Phil Fravel

Friendly
Also tuck the base of the rod. The part just behing the reel in his arm sleve shirt. It will help to hold it in place and take some strain off wrist and arm. It also promotes proper use of wrist

Timh76

It’s an 9’ 4wt Orvis Trident TLS. perfect rod to learn with. now just one of these cheapskates to donate a reel and your 3/4's of the way there

Last edited:

SERE Nate

Looks like my budget for a reel just went up thanks to Timh76! Anyone with a litespeed reel for a 4/5 weight? Also need some 5 weight line. Figure its best to line up a 4 weight rod with 5 weight line for a beginner.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts