Push or pull with a Minn Kota

grady blk

Doing a 12ft V hull Marlon build mostly for still waters up here in BC
Made a casting deck with a seat post up near the bow and thought with this seat, the 50 electric trolling motor could be fashioned with a mount fabricated to make it work

My question: is there benefits to a trolling motor at the bow or the stern?
Thanks

20200408_180702_HDR.jpg

Currently the Minn Kota is mounted at the stern

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
Unless you have a remote control for your MinnKota, you need it mounted where you can control the tiller.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Some questions we asked ourselves. Where will it not foul gear? Where's the battery and wiring cleanest? Are you going to use it to hold position in the wind (no current in a lake), maybe with the main motor? One anchor or two, again holding? Where do I have most control of my boat, (my son likes to see the motor, even when using the remote)? We found best control, both for holding and for working and casting structure was up front, but our boat is much bigger.

grady blk

Some questions we asked ourselves. Where will it not foul gear? Where's the battery and wiring cleanest? Are you going to use it to hold position in the wind (no current in a lake), maybe with the main motor? One anchor or two, again holding? Where do I have most control of my boat, (my son likes to see the motor, even when using the remote)? We found best control, both for holding and for working and casting structure was up front, but our boat is much bigger.
The battery will be under the platform beside the fuel tank, I have 7 Scotty mounts that will hold 2 of which are my anchor mounts, port stern and bow
The casting deck has added 3ft more to the 2ft center bench and the small 1ft bow seat
The frame work is 1x2 angle by 1/8 alum. welded 20200408_121859.jpg 20200408_180716_HDR.jpg

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Nice toy! We found up front works best for us. Besides the motor eating a rod, or tangling carelessly handled deck line fouling in the handle (I've seen it but not us yet), our only issue was a wild steelhead getting fouled while fleeing the net, which was no great loss, we considered it caught. We find up front makes it easier to troll out the back if desired and clean weeds too.

Rob Allen

Doing a 12ft V hull Marlon build mostly for still waters up here in BC
Made a casting deck with a seat post up near the bow and thought with this seat, the 50 electric trolling motor could be fashioned with a mount fabricated to make it work

My question: is there benefits to a trolling motor at the bow or the stern?
Thanks

View attachment 234020

Currently the Minn Kota is mounted at the stern

Buy a foot controlled bow mount..

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
I have a 14 foot Hi Laker with a foot control bow mount and it is simple to control. It actually makes me look like I know what I am doing.

Buzzy

One things for sure, it doesn't matter where a motor gets mounted. Any time a prop is spinning in the water it will eventually eat a fly line or two.

I think my boat has chopped five or six this past year lol
I got a kick out of the picture @MelW posted. Fortunately, I haven't done that with a rod (yet?) but I'm with you on lines. Only twice. ;-)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts