Ono season

Mems

gD4cLdXl.jpg

Got up before dawn yesterday for the ono run with the full moon. Had a hit right away but it jumped off, lots of little rockets around.
yA9R02Ql.jpg

Ran down the coast hugging the 40 fathom ledge and had this 30lber hit. Got it in, and put it on ice.
dLEyORml.jpg

We headed down to Kumakahi point with no more hits, but on the way back got another ono at Kaloli pt, about 15lbs. We then went to the closest buoy and got some nice 20lb ahi on poppers. The fish were loaded with our pink pelagic shrimp. Got some aku as well, my friend loves aku poke. So it was a good day with nice seas and light winds. It was also my mom's b-day and she passed last fall. It was nice to get some ono, my mom loved ono. Ceviche and sashimi tonight. Hope you all have a great Easter. Mems.

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
Wahoo is my favorite fish, aside from mahi, of course. Love the strike on an outrigger...POW ! And that first screaming run is incredible. It’s been 30 years since I’ve caught one. I was serving as weigh master at a blue water tournament in Savannah, Georgia, many years ago. One of the boats gave me a 40lb wahoo, they didn’t want to fool with the thing. What a gift. It’s the only mackerel species I care to eat.

SilverFly

gD4cLdXl.jpg

Got up before dawn yesterday for the ono run with the full moon. Had a hit right away but it jumped off, lots of little rockets around.
yA9R02Ql.jpg

Ran down the coast hugging the 40 fathom ledge and had this 30lber hit. Got it in, and put it on ice.
dLEyORml.jpg

We headed down to Kumakahi point with no more hits, but on the way back got another ono at Kaloli pt, about 15lbs. We then went to the closest buoy and got some nice 20lb ahi on poppers. The fish were loaded with our pink pelagic shrimp. Got some aku as well, my friend loves aku poke. So it was a good day with nice seas and light winds. It was also my mom's b-day and she passed last fall. It was nice to get some ono, my mom loved ono. Ceviche and sashimi tonight. Hope you all have a great Easter. Mems.
Hey Don, Don't take this the wrong way but you suck. ;)

SilverFly

I know they say sailfish are the fastest fish in the ocean, but looking at an ono makes me wonder (not that I have personal experience with either species :( ). Damn, think I'd take one of those on a fly over a "big" (less than 80#) tuna.

Mems

I have caught them on fly, both trolled and cast to. They are really hard to see in the water. The take is pretty cool. Sometimes they jump and hit the fly on the way down like a kingfish, their cousin. The first two runs are blistering, you would swear your drag was broken. After that they are pretty tired. We normally get them on big gear, keep the drag down and the boat moving. Once they start to surf you can crank them in. We want them for food. When we get enough then I get to use my fly rod or spin rod. They are a blast on light tackle but many are lost that way. Yes the teeth are sharp and overlap like scissors. The jaw hyper extends to allow them to cut prey at high speed. I have seen them cut a 20lb mahi in half.

Bowbonehead

I can almost smell it sizzling on the barbie ...... anyways I need to go out and shovel the snow again ...... gotta love Alberta in the springtime ........

Richard E

xzvZw9Tl.jpg

A couple of slabs
dcQTs3al.jpg

After, cut for sashimi. Blanco and Anjeo tequilla to round off the pupuus

Man, there's some great eatin' right there! Meal fit for a king! I could eat that every day...pretty much. OK, maybe not every day, but pretty dang often! Love that stuff.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts