Trout spey tips?

Joe52

Hi all

new to trout spey. Enjoying the process but not catching fish yet. For sure happy to be climbing the learning curve but looking for advice.

on a typical outing, what is a reasonable catch rate? Looking to maintain reasonable expectations.

what are one or two pieces of advice for how to fish? More the fishing side not the casting, that’s a whole other thread!

Thx all

tackleman

The same flies will catch the same fish in the same locations. There is a learning curve to the casting, especially from the gentle presentation standpoint. The advantage of the 'trout spey' is the rod length for mending purposes. You can get a longer drift. with better drag management.
The other benefit is the application of 'swing' fishing techniques. Big fish eat little fish. Make sure your fly selection includes some little fish imitations.

Joe52

Thx. Some of my learning curve is def in learning to fish streamers while wade fishing. Never really been that interested until I started spey casting. This far I haven’t nymphed with it, just streamers for now

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
Reasonable catch rate could be one fish a day or none, it could also be 30. It depends on time of year and weather your fishing soft hackles with a Scandi to fish that are rising or dredging a deep bucket in the winter with a Skagit and sink tips for that one Donkey that wants to play.

I guess what I’m trying to say is you just have to put in time and adapt to conditions. It’s also ok to get skunked once in awhile, it helps in figuring out how to overcome it next time.

Good luck

Last edited:

Joe52

Thx Bob
Not too worried about getting skunked. I enjoy the learning curve. I’m just trying to get a sense of what success looks like. Seems like with the swing/retrieved streamer it’s lower catch rates. Streamer fishing isn’t ever a numbers game!

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
Thx Bob
Not too worried about getting skunked. I enjoy the learning curve. I’m just trying to get a sense of what success looks like. Seems like with the swing/retrieved streamer it’s lower catch rates. Streamer fishing isn’t ever a numbers game!
Try and sell the fly by short little pops, or a slow and low jig motion especially if the fly has a little marabou during the swing. Then let it hang down at the end and vary your retrieve stripping it in to cast again. Success will look good :)

Joe52

Thanks Bob, I will give that a try. Cold weather for a couple days. Then back at it I hope.

jdmobrien7

Fishing is closed until 5/5 Joe. Be careful. No trout is worth $10k fine and no license for 5 years. You thought no fishing for a couple months is hard...

SinglehandJay

I don't know a lot of people that fly fish so I've never had anyone else to compare my success to. I did however have tremendous success swinging hardware for fish before I switched to fly fishing only and I can say that 95 percent of my fishing is swung flies whether it be streamers or dries; and my success is just as great if not better than when I used conventional tackle. And I do from time to time get skunked. My advice is to always be looking EVERYWHERE. Observe the water and the waters surface. Look at the bugs flying around, remember or keep a journal of the flies that caught you fish and note the location and water temp, air temp and conditions. In periods of lower water go to your favorite rivers and look at the bottom structure and find holding water for when it gets deep again. This part of the learning curve will help you into more fish. One very important piece of information too is try to learn your max fishing depths with the line sets you have and sink tips. Make sure your offering is getting down as far as you need it to. I also wanted to say that I try to feed streamers to fish every time I go out and to tell you the truth I am a numbers guy and when you get streamer fishing dialed in it will turn to numbers for you. I haven't read from others about swinging or skating dries to fish, let me tell you that that shit is deadly. Best of luck

Joe52

Thanks

I live in Montana, our waters never closed, thankfully.

good advice Jay. I started playing with trout spey as the water rose, so not too surprised it’s been slow. I am optimistic. I appreciate your encouragement about swinging and will try dries as well. What dries do you like to swing?

SinglehandJay

I've never really been into buying flies from a shop and build all my own. My tying is not traditional in the sense that I don't try to make a particular bug. I usually just wing it and put together materials that look buggy. I think more than matching the hatch to the exact bug that the size of whatever you are fishing is what matches unless you fish heavily fished water. If you fish heavily fished water chances are you will probably have to match the bugs pretty good. The dries I do tie are very simple and are usually just multiple colors of feathers palmered together. I also sometimes fish a dry on a lite sink tip so I can try for the fish that want surface stuff or sub surface as it starts being drug down right to the fish that is holding on the bottom. Cover all aspects from top to bottom

Joe52

cool sounds like some light swinging and skating. I had a day like that last summer and was amazed how effective it was. It was the end of the day and I was getting lazy on my pick up and just pulling the dry back on the surface/subsurface and was getting tons of short hits. Pretty fun.

I like your heavy hackles for the swing. I suspect that kicks up a nice wake.

stay healthy

j

Mark Kadoshima

Assuming not a home water since not sure if hot fishing, but I always make a point of checking in with a local fly shop, buy a couple flies that are supposed to do the trick, then hit the water. If fishing is great and I'm not doing well....then I know I suck. But this time has shown that any time on the river is a great time!

Joe52

ha! I thought the same thing this weekend. I have a to tie list for that and a few reaches picked out, which means I have finally turned into my day.

Any fly suggestions? I am looking at some generic green caddis soft hackles and some skaters

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts