Rescue fund for fly shops?

Matt Paluch

WFF Supporter
I'm worried that a significant number of fly shops will go out of business due to this pandemic. I used to own a shop on the Deschutes that went out of business despite my best efforts and experience in the industry. I'd hate to see that happen to the shops who are still around. I'd like to see if there's any interest from people here in contributing to a fund that could hopefully provide some money for shops to pay their bills until this thing is over.

I know that many are buying gift cards, etc. I think that is great and people should continue doing that. This fund that I'm thinking about would provide the money free of obligation to the shops. Just a way for anglers to help keep our favorite shops open.

What do you all think?

majpreal

WFF Supporter
I'm too concerned about my own small businesses going under. I hope independent fly shops survive but there's no gas left in the tank. Sorry if this comes across as selfish. This is crushing a lot of people.

I don't know if "fund" makes sense but if you have discretionary dollars to deploy, just think about what businesses make a difference to you and spend there where you can. If you like beer from a local brewery, see if you can buy it from a brewery vs a grocery store where the brewery has to take a hit on distribution. Order take out and tip generously. Buy a gift card. Message a fly shop and see if they can send you some tippet, fly selection or even that new rod you've been coveting. Lots of ways you can help just by targeting places that are important to you.

Last edited:

JS

You can buy stuff. And, if you buy, make sure it is from a local shop. I did my part today and got in touch with Anil and bought some stuff. If you are otherwise OK, think about "investing" some of the stimulus funds.

Thats what I’ve been doing. Trying to spread the love between The Gorge, the Fly Shop in Welches, and some others.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Thats what I’ve been doing. Trying to spread the love between The Gorge, the Fly Shop in Welches, and some others.
Keep it simple, just support small businesses! I've bought stuff from The Avid Angler, my friends restaurant La Corona, Bob's Lake City Liquors, Proper & Ernest, Stoggies n Hops and probably some others. I go to grocery stores and use Amazon as needed, but other than that support your local businesses as much as possible! Just my 2 cents!

Jerry Metcalf

FishyJere
If you were thinking of buying something later this summer, well, now would be a good time. I know there is a large frugal contingent here, for good reasons surely, but if you wanted to try a quality item once - now is a good time. How about a quality line even at full price. There is a reason they sell to so many, might be worth a try. Stuff like that offers good margins to the shops and they could use it.

You could also use the line and compare performance. If times are tight then don't. Keep the home fires lit first.

Jerry

Matt Paluch

WFF Supporter
If you were thinking of buying something later this summer, well, now would be a good time. I know there is a large frugal contingent here, for good reasons surely, but if you wanted to try a quality item once - now is a good time. How about a quality line even at full price. There is a reason they sell to so many, might be worth a try. Stuff like that offers good margins to the shops and they could use it.

You could also use the line and compare performance. If times are tight then don't. Keep the home fires lit first.

Jerry
So one of the highest profit margin items for shops is typically flies or fly tying materials. If you're planning on purchasing just to help out and have a specific dollar amount, I'd consider buying those things. If you're buying a rod or reel sooner than originally planned, that's great too.

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Even if you don't need something specific but want to and have the means to support your local shop, call them. Many of them are doing raffles which is a great idea. Basically they put together a package of really nice gear and sell a fixed # of tickets for a fixed price where the total value of tickets sold equals the value of the gear (ex: $1,000 worth of sweet fishing gear, they will still ten tickets for $100 each). The net impact to the shop is they essentially sell a pile of pricey gear for retail, and it's a nice way for customers to support them.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I’ve been getting lots of emails from both local and non-local shops I’ve purchased from in the past with some pretty creative offers.
I just got one this morning offering a free lower end reel with the purchase of higher end reel.

This has been an extremely tough situation on many small businesses and I hope the majority of them are able to make it through this.
SF

Mark Kadoshima

You can buy stuff. And, if you buy, make sure it is from a local shop. I did my part today and got in touch with Anil and bought some stuff. If you are otherwise OK, think about "investing" some of the stimulus funds.
So is Puget Sound Fly Co answering their phone now? I've got his personal number, but didn't want to bother him if the shop is fully closed.

wetswinger

Are they not eligible for the government small business bail out like other businesses? I hope so. If my local shop opens again I'll continue to shop there.
Is this a lesson in basic evolution theory, the survival of the fit? Something to dwell on...

MileHighFlyGuy

Are they not eligible for the government small business bail out like other businesses? I hope so. If my local shop opens again I'll continue to shop there.
Is this a lesson in basic evolution theory, the survival of the fit? Something to dwell on...
The small business bailout seems carefully crafted to be too little, too late. For one thing, the loans are made by banks, who are required to be conservative in issuing the loans. This defeats the premise of the program, that the borrower actually needs the loan to survive and continue to employ people.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I’ll definitely be supporting my local fly shops as much as I can. I’d also say also consider supporting other local businesses as much as you can as well. If you can swing it consider even paying for services you planned to use but maybe cancelled due to Covid. My wife and I cancelled two short trips in the last two months which meant we did not need a pet sitter. We knew folks in that line of work are struggling so we are going to pay her anyway. We let her know that and the note we received back was a reminder that even a little helps and there are people in this world really being impacted by this.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info