Rescue fund for fly shops?

nb_ken

I'm a sucker for a shop hat. Whenever I go somewhere new, I'll stop in a local shop and ask a few questions. Usually leave with a hat.

My latest favorite 'clean' hat was one I picked up in West at Madison River Outfitters. Noticed recently that it stopped being clean. Looked them up and, yep, they still sell that same hat on line. They sent me a very nice note along with the hat.

Fly shop is a tough racket in the best of times, so yeah, if you've been thinking about picking anything up, now would be a good time if you can swing it.

Sportsman

The small business bailout seems carefully crafted to be too little, too late. For one thing, the loans are made by banks, who are required to be conservative in issuing the loans. This defeats the premise of the program, that the borrower actually needs the loan to survive and continue to employ people.
It wasn't too little, but it's already gone before the people who really needed it could even log on or apply. Where O Where did it go?

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Thats what I’ve been doing. Trying to spread the love between The Gorge, the Fly Shop in Welches, and some others.

Sorry, but the Gorge fly shop is just another box box online store now. I was done with them when I learned how much they spent to come up first on google searches.
Did place a fat order with WW this week and a follow up order with Caddis shop for what WW didn’t carry.

95777F9E-9F3A-42ED-8B5F-2FA65783AF47.jpeg

JS

Sorry, but the Gorge fly shop is just another box box online store now. I was done with them when I learned how much they spent to come up first on google searches.
Did place a fat order with WW this week and a follow up order with Caddis shop for what WW didn’t carry.

View attachment 235129

That’s news to me. Unfortunate. Splitting time between living in Ptown and SE WA, it was always a stop when we were traveling back and forth.

Freestone

WFF Supporter
In addition to the Federal programs, WA State has a small business GRANT for truly small WA companies like fly shops (10 FTE’S or fewer). The application deadline is tomorrow, 4/17, and some counties have already reached their quota of applications. If you have the contact info of a shop in a county still accepting applications, you might let them know about this program.

joellirot

I needed some poly leaders. Dropped a line to my local fly shop and they mailed them to me. I hadn't hit their $50 (Canadian) free shipping limit - so I had them throw in a couple flies too. I could have gotten what I needed on Amazon but really want to see these guys stay open (Michael and Youngs in Vancouver BTW).

I also got some parts for my broken stove from the local repair shop. Could have had them delivered for 20 bucks cheaper. But, I know that if I really need help I'd rather they were in business than Amazon.

We're going to visit the local wineries this weekend (pickup only no contact) for a couple cases of vino.

I'm starting to take this 'keep the local guys in business' bit a lot more seriously.

Tristan Mikoleit

WFF Supporter
I placed an order with Avid Angler last night for tippet, leader, and a fly line I know I'll need at some point. I'm not sure if they had this before, but some of their items are listed directly online and you can purchase through that.

Got an email back right away from Ryan and he let me know that they are working on getting their fly tying stuff listed on the website now too. After that they will move to waders, boots, clothing and flies.

In the meantime, you can email them a list of what you need and they will fill it or special order what they don't have:

[email protected]

DannyS

Tip from someone who owns a small business: lots of places are having to do creative sales to compete with all the other traffic out there.
A sale is always better than nothing but if you have the means to do so, skip the discount code and pay full price. You’ll put a smile on someone’s face!
Happy shopping!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts