Gobble, gobble

Bowbonehead

I tried it a couple times, but came to the conclusion that I preferred flushing birds that cackled on the rise.
This time of year is the only time they seem to cackle around here ..... come fall all you hear is the sound of wings...... usually behind me .....

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
This time of year is the only time they seem to cackle around here ..... come fall all you hear is the sound of wings...... usually behind me .....
I don't hunt anymore, but my current dog has such a good nose that we never walked past birds. My hunting partner's Griff had an even better nose & from quite a distance. Both dogs worked well together and developed a knack for circling & blocking running/sneaky roosters. Being able to hunt over that pair was a glorious way to end a long Pheasant hunting career.
A Team 12-21-12.jpg

Last edited:

Bowbonehead

Its funny how life evolves I started bird hunting as a youngster and was rabid about it up until about 30 when life and family took over and hunting only happened when I needed to refill the freezer with venison ......... now that I have retired a few years back and in my early 60's it has become a passion again ...... can't wait for the fall to arrive and get back out with a new SxS to get used too and a pup that's a year older to watch ........

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
Old age Upton, lol. Wild birds have gotten scarce anyway and I didn't want to chance Hank getting hurt & my not being able to pack him out.
I completely understand. Been there, am there! Since Grits died I have no interest in hunting or getting another dog. I have an easy place to hunt wild birds in Montana on a smallish family property but without the greatest little yellow Lab that every existed, well, it just wouldn’t be fun. Besides, I’ve taken my share of game, time to just enjoy memories, stay healthy, and pester My Better Half.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I still work Hank, because he loves it but not nearly as hard as we used to work . . . it's easier on both of us :D. He remains in superb physical condition, but with Hank at 9 & me at 10 (in dog years ;)), we enjoy shorter play time and longer naps in the sun . . .

I hear you about Grits; replacing Hank would be an impossible task.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info