Bread Thread

Gary Knowels

Hey guys. Y’all are convincing me i might need a scale. All the recipes are calling for it. I had no idea flour was so finicky. Since i don’t have one i did what they also called for : i stirred up the flour and spooned it in my measuring cup instead of packing it in. My bread came out very good I think! I used the Jim Lahey recipe for No Knead bread and let it rise for over 8 hours and baked it in a preheated Dutch oven. I didn’t cook the first loaf until 10 pm. I made the second one by getting up at 5 am and cooking it at 4 pm.

I am confused about the use of a scale though. Do i measure on a plate and subtract the weight of the plate? Also how do you know it’s calibrated correctly?

My next adventure in bread baking is going to be Japanese milk bread. I’ve been looking online about this bread for awhile now and think I’m ready to try it. Have any of y’all made it? View attachment 267416
What's it look like inside?

Gary Knowels

Whole wheat molasses sourdough on the right, type 110 whole wheat on the left.
IMG_20210112_162801.jpg

It was my first time playing with T110, I really like the flavor of it and the texture turned out really nice. The dough is
300 g ABC+
100 g type 110 (central milling)
9 g salt
320 g water
80 g starter
I need to work on my batard shaping as it came out flat. It spread the instant I turned it out of the banneton.
IMG_20210112_183423.jpg

The other loaf is
300 g ABC+
100 g whole wheat
260 g water
20 g milk powder
40 g molasses
20 g honey
6 g salt
10 g butter
80 g starter

I turned out fantastic. Soft and a little sweet, just a hint of molasses. I can't wait to make a sandwich with it. The shape is way better than the other loaf. IMG_20210112_183650.jpg

Zak

WFF Supporter
Hey guys. Y’all are convincing me i might need a scale. All the recipes are calling for it. I had no idea flour was so finicky. Since i don’t have one i did what they also called for : i stirred up the flour and spooned it in my measuring cup instead of packing it in. My bread came out very good I think! I used the Jim Lahey recipe for No Knead bread and let it rise for over 8 hours and baked it in a preheated Dutch oven. I didn’t cook the first loaf until 10 pm. I made the second one by getting up at 5 am and cooking it at 4 pm.

I am confused about the use of a scale though. Do i measure on a plate and subtract the weight of the plate? Also how do you know it’s calibrated correctly?

My next adventure in bread baking is going to be Japanese milk bread. I’ve been looking online about this bread for awhile now and think I’m ready to try it. Have any of y’all made it? View attachment 267416
That looks great, Jojo! I mix bread in a big pottery bowl. I turn on the scale, put the bowl on the scale (with starter, if using), and tare it. Now the scale reads zero grams. Then I pour in water watching the scale until it says 400 grams. Tare it. Then scoop in 600 grams flour, tare it again. Etc. The only thing I measure is a tablespoon of salt, and the only dirty dish is the big bowl.

Zak

WFF Supporter
Whole wheat molasses sourdough on the right, type 110 whole wheat on the left.
View attachment 267430

It was my first time playing with T110, I really like the flavor of it and the texture turned out really nice. The dough is
300 g ABC+
100 g type 110 (central milling)
9 g salt
320 g water
80 g starter
I need to work on my batard shaping as it came out flat. It spread the instant I turned it out of the banneton.
View attachment 267431

The other loaf is
300 g ABC+
100 g whole wheat
260 g water
20 g milk powder
40 g molasses
20 g honey
6 g salt
10 g butter
80 g starter

I turned out fantastic. Soft and a little sweet, just a hint of molasses. I can't wait to make a sandwich with it. The shape is way better than the other loaf. View attachment 267432
I want to make that molasses bread!

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
You guys are great! Thank you for all of this information on the scale. I’m going to order one today. I had never heard of ‘tare’ before Since I have only gotten into bread baking since the pandemic and because i got a bigger dutch oven.

@Gary Knowels your bread looks fantastic. All of y’all are so good at this! And you asked what mine looked when i cut it. It actually looked just like yours did. I gave half a loaf to my neighbors after i baked it and on the second day i made some very nice french toast with it.

I’m interested though in making something with alittle more sweetness, which is why i want to try the milk bread next. I had success with an oatmeal raisin bread a couple of times which i made using a food processor that I’ll try again but i want to branch out.

As we hunker down this winter i think it would be great to share bread with neighbors. Bread is the perfect comfort food.

Jojo

WFF Supporter
@Zak, i just placed the order for the one you bought! Thank you! For some reason i thought scales would be big and take up room in my little galley kitchen where every inch is precious real estate.

Gary Knowels

Working on my batard shaping. I made some improvements with this round. I did 1 loaf with the banneton liner and one without.
Dough is 60% ABC+, 20% type 110, 20% whole wheat sourdough at 78% hydration.
IMG_20210117_121354.jpg IMG_20210117_121409.jpg
IMG_20210117_130219.jpg
IMG_20210117_130908.jpg
IMG_20210117_130926.jpg

Jojo

WFF Supporter
So i used my new scale (like the one you linked @Zak, thanks again!). I am so glad i bought it. I tried Japanese Milk Bread for the first time. You make a sort of roux first. I can’t believe how well it turned out for my first time since i am new to bread baking! Here is the link to the recipe and some photos i took: https://www.theflavorbender.com/jap...-hokkaido-milk-bread/comment-page-1/#comments

I made a double batch and shared with a couple of neighbors while it was still warm. It was like eating a cloud! After a couple of days it was still good and it makes great toast!

Zak

WFF Supporter
So i used my new scale (like the one you linked @Zak, thanks again!). I am so glad i bought it. I tried Japanese Milk Bread for the first time. You make a sort of roux first. I can’t believe how well it turned out for my first time since i am new to bread baking! Here is the link to the recipe and some photos i took: https://www.theflavorbender.com/jap...-hokkaido-milk-bread/comment-page-1/#comments

I made a double batch and shared with a couple of neighbors while it was still warm. It was like eating a cloud! After a couple of days it was still good and it makes great toast!
Nice! I cannot see your photos at that link, can you post them in this thread?

Zak

WFF Supporter
I went a little over board with a sourdough sponge last night. Now I need to add 10 cups of flour. But I'm already using my biggest bowl! I guess I'll add some flour in the bowl and the rest during kneading. This recipe calls for kneading.
PXL_20210125_145326011.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts