Bread Thread

Chris Bailey

WFF Supporter
I've been making sourdough pizza dough for a few years using a culture I got from these guys. I have an Italian culture that I use to make a Neapolitan-style pizza dough for a wood-fired oven (Ooni), but have wanted to try using the culture to make bread. Weeks of working from home due to the virus has given me the chance to try it. I've learned most of what I know through youtube videos, although I have found great information in my wife's La Brea Bakery Bread book. I have been maintaining a sourdough culture for a while, which seems like half the battle for sourdough bread. On youtube, I have found the Foodgeek videos very helpful. His web site is good as well, particularly the beginner procedures. My biggest takeaway is that it isn't necessarily as hard as I expected, just demanding from a schedule standpoint with a lot of short steps. We just finished my third batch and I'm looking to try some minor variations, like rosemary, roasted garlic, etc. There aren't many better things to eat with a good steak than a salty, herby sourdough toasted on the grill grates after the steaks come off. Yum.

These are from my last batch. 82% AP flour and 18% whole wheat (I snagged the last bag of Bobs Red Mill at the local grocery store), and 70% hydration.

IMG_1250.JPEG IMG_1259.JPEG

Bagman

I have been trying to get gluten free sourdough bread to work for quite some time now with not much luck. I switch over to regular flour came up with this. I'm very happy with evertthing except not as brown as I like my crust to be. I think my oven is out of wack on the temperature setting. Going to buy a oven thermometer before my next loaf. I made my own starter using gluten free flours, and have now started feeding it with plain old flour. From what I've read bread flour just has more gluten added so I kept away from bread flour.

Attachments

Zak

I've been looking for good recipes for sourdough discard, and this looks like a winner:
I'll report back after cooking and eating it.

Bagman

I've been looking for good recipes for sourdough discard, and this looks like a winner:
I'll report back after cooking and eating it.
I use a Alaskan sourdough pancake recipe off the websites
Originating in a Alaska, this recipe was popular in the late 1800s, when a sourdough starter was the common and reliable way to provide leavening for bread products. Preparation begins the night before for these fluffy pancakes.

Recipe Ingredients:
1 cup Sourdough Starter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cooking Directions:
  1. Place the sourdough starter in a nonreactive mixing bowl, add the flour and water. Stir and leave, loosely covered, overnight in a warm place.
  2. The following morning, stir the mixture and remove 1 cup, adding it to your sourdough starter in the refrigerator.
  3. To the warm sourdough mixture, add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
  4. For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto a hot griddle. Cook pancakes until dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until lightly golden brown.

Reactions: Zak

Gary Knowels

I dump my discard (90% hydration AP flour with about 30% whole wheat) straight into a pan with olive oil over medium heat and spread to about 1/3" thick. Then I top with za'atar and fresh chive or scallion. Once browned, flip to brown the other side. Super fast and easy and very delicious. Crispy, pillowy, savory. If you don't have or like za'atar, try something like Costco's no salt seasoning or Montreal steak/chicken seasoning. So good that sometimes I just scale up starter just to make more pancakes.

110 g of discard will get you a pancake about 6" in diameter.

O' Clarkii Stomias

I dump my discard (90% hydration AP flour with about 30% whole wheat) straight into a pan with olive oil over medium heat and spread to about 1/3" thick. Then I top with za'atar and fresh chive or scallion. Once browned, flip to brown the other side. Super fast and easy and very delicious. Crispy, pillowy, savory. If you don't have or like za'atar, try something like Costco's no salt seasoning or Montreal steak/chicken seasoning. So good that sometimes I just scale up starter just to make more pancakes.

110 g of discard will get you a pancake about 6" in diameter.
You've exposed my secret breakfast that I don't share with the family!

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
The whole thing about discarding sourdough starter is like a cult! Or maybe just that home bakers are really, really bad at math. I haven’t thrown away any sourdough starter in years. I often make extra for stuff like crackers, pancakes, etc. though.

Zak

The whole thing about discarding sourdough starter is like a cult! Or maybe just that home bakers are really, really bad at math. I haven’t thrown away any sourdough starter in years. I often make extra for stuff like crackers, pancakes, etc. though.
I think if I were baking more often (which I should) then I could just replenish the starter each time I make dough. But I bake once a week and feel like I need to "wake up" the starter with a few feedings after a week in the fridge. The whole sourdough thing is pretty culty, though!

Last edited:

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
I think if I were baking more often (which I should) then I could just replenish the starter each time I make dough. But I bake once a week and feel like I need to "wake up" the starter with a few feedings after a week in the fridge. The whole sourdough thing is pretty culty, though!
Just save a bit less, so that after a couple of feedings you have what you need.

Reactions: Zak

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
You guys are blowing me away with your bread. After having beginners luck, the last one i made could have been used as an anchor.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info