Articulated Fly Questions

MGTom

WFF Supporter
OK, I don't need to hear about the lures. That's why I'm here. Now that I got a fly rod in my sons hand we're moving on to my favorite. These are far and away my two favorites for fishing the snake. The shad I'm going to replicate with clouser's, just need new bucktail and eye colors. I've also been working on a clouser craw, but I'd like to replicate the plug action with something like those articulated monsters you guys are tying. They have these at our sportsman's, is this the type of articulated shank? I think I usually see a front hook, is that correct? Why not two articulated hooks? The larger fish seem to always get the front set, while the hundreds of 12" seem to end up on the back set, short strike, and I like them too. Anyway any comments or good video recommendations, or your tie shots, appreciated. Thx
20200419_rapala.jpg
umpqua-waddington-shank-p26777-1.jpg

Scudley Do Right

I use those waddington shanks to tie stinger hook clousers. I don't know if people use them for articulated flies. I don't tie the game changer style flies but they use incrementally smaller shanks down the body. I tie some articulated flies with two B10s with wire in between them. I have some small lips to tie on to the shank of the hook to make a fly wiggle. They also make cones for the same purpose. I think Roger Stephens uses a sequin on the leader in front of the fly. Good luck, let us see what you come up with.

Speyrod GB

I would suggest watching some of Gunnar Brammer videos. He ties a lot of articulated flies. He also designs his flies to move/wiggle like lures. The movement is created by head design. He lives in Minnesota and fishes a lot for smallies and northerns.

He also has a crawdad fly made of pheasant rump. It's pretty cool and easy to tie. Not all of his flies are on his web site.

cmann886

+ 1 for Gunnar Brammer. You don't need shanks to get great movement. Also look at the lazer legal, barely legal, and perl necklace patterns.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Gunner Brammer has some great videos!

I am just getting started tying articulated baitfish patterns but I use these. They can be found through Spawnfish.

Edit: adding size. 11mm, 15mm, 20mm and 35mm left to right.

6A3E0E01-5B8D-4173-94DD-F9E5DF845B6D.jpeg

AAE5C5A3-36EC-40B8-8D45-66074D50B0F4.jpeg

I use the Waddington type shank you are showing for patterns like stinger clousers.

Mark Kadoshima

Just curious, has anyone ever just bent stainless steel wire to make these? I think I have a source for the wire, but wasn't sure if these were treated in some way to help prevent from bending out.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
You can find a lot of stainless steel spinner wire shafts for sale fairly cheaply if you want to bend your own.
Some already have the eye on them.

There are also wire twisting tools specifically for fishing or you can use a pair of needle nose pliers.
There are some videos on YouTube you can check out.
SF

PhilR

Just curious, has anyone ever just bent stainless steel wire to make these? I think I have a source for the wire, but wasn't sure if these were treated in some way to help prevent from bending out.

That’s what I do. Not as pretty, but it gets the job done. I don’t worry about it getting bent, bc I put the hook up front and hang the shank off the back. I also don’t worry, bc I haven’t managed to get one of these in a tiger’s craw.

Speyrod GB

I have used spinner bait shanks for my tiger muskie and steelhead flies. I purchased them at The Fly Fisher in Lacey. Bjorn has several lengths. They work well. I have recently discovered I cannot fit a standard conehead over them. I was recently using them for trout spey flies. I started using some older streamer hooks for the shanks.

Ryan Janos

Fastenal sells cotter pins by the 100 for about $0.03/pin. I bought light wire in 1.5" and just pinch off the ends if I want them smaller. That way you can have as many as you want in any size. They also sell them in heavier wire up to ~3.5" if you're looking for something that makes a big splash. If you're trying to link them together w/o wire you can just invert one and tie it to another with a little glue. I've never had one move on me.

With all that being said, if I had more $$ I'd probably just buy the shanks!

P-FITZ98

I used to use a lot of cotter pins. I even used to solder them together to make big, heavy Waddington style shanks for trolling flies.

Dr. Magill

The Gunnar guy is a a serious tier
His videos are a bit long but it’s all pretty damned good. I’m going to watch all of them

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I have purchased 3 ft. lengths of .0035 stainless wire from Sportco. Guys use it for spinner baits. You get six pieces for about $4 as I remember. That will make a lot of shanks. I use a pair of round jeweler's pliers to make the bends. It takes a bit of practice to get consistent shanks but they are pretty good. You can also make them with just one end bent for flies like Leland's popper.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts