So... parks and beaches open but not fishing?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
No but fortunately I can read. It’s clear they are opening new parks. There’s a list. Couldn’t pay me to live where I can see a Seattle park.

That is unfortunate.
You missed a lot of opportunity to all enjoy the Seattle parks that have been open the past month or so.
I’ve been enjoying the great saltwater beaches.
SF

Peyton00

Maybe Gorgefly interpreted the " all Seattle parks are now open" thinking they were all closed.

Thou for a guy not wanting to come to Seattle parks, he has spent some time thinking about them.

Pescaphile

Here's the news, dated yesterday, April 18, that the OP referred to.

The headline reads: Reopened Seattle parks, farmers' markets give hint of normalcy amid shutdown.

And from within the article itself, it states:

"The city of Seattle says all parks and beaches have reopened, but the loop trails around Green Lake and at Seward Park are only open to pedestrians."

After reading both the article and the posts above in this thread from members I presume to be Seattlites, I'm not sure whether any Seattle Parks were ever closed or if only some were closed. It does look like the two farmers' markets in Seattle re-opened. I think the Seattle Parks department may manage those markets but don't know.

This news article appears to just be a transcript of the TV broadcast from the local network news. I don't blame someone for thinking parks in Seattle have re-opened after reading something like the above.

WDFW has a problem now of how to re-open fishing after having a instituted a blanket closure throughout the state as other things begin to re-open both here and in the rest of the country. Things like this news broadcast and the article it was made into won't make the job any easier for them.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
In the most populous area of our state you can now go to the parks and beaches but we cannot drive to a river and get out and fish? Explain that one. I’m sure some will.
If fishing season was open and not closed for the Virus. You still couldn't fish in a river. Rivers in the real world don't open until Memorial Day and that just a few do open then.:eek::eek:

Chris Bailey

WFF Supporter
Seattleite here. I think the OP missed the fact that the re-opening of parks was just relative to the previous weekend, Easter weekend and a nice one at that, for which many large parks, and beaches, were completely closed. To be fair, that wasn't made clear in the article either and it does give the impression that something that has been closed for a while was being reopened due to reduced risk, which is not the case. The main reason high use areas were closed last weekend was that it was clear that quite a lot of people were still congregating and those parks (Gas Works, Green Lake, Alki, etc.) were getting too busy and expected to blow up over Easter weekend. There are new signs around at Seattle parks indicating that if the parks get too crowded they will close again. The park near me, Jefferson, has not closed and there is plenty of space to get a walk in while keeping your distance. However, all of the programmed uses like soccer and softball are officially closed city-wide until at least mid-June. I had fully intended to drag a couple rods to the middle of Jefferson Park this morning and work out the kinks in the grass, but it didn't happen. Maybe next week.

After reading both the article and the posts above in this thread from members I presume to be Seattlites, I'm not sure whether any Seattle Parks were ever closed or if only some were closed. It does look like the two farmers' markets in Seattle re-opened. I think the Seattle Parks department may manage those markets but don't know.

Gorgefly

All you need to do is read Komo’s piece. It clearly says some Seattle parks that were closed since the stay at home order are reopening this weekend along with the markets. I guess I can’t take that as as truth then. My bad. Would not be the first time the media gets it wrong. Most of them get it wrong on purpose actually much of the time. I was simply stating I would not want to live where I could see a Seattle park because that would mean I had to live there. The only skyscrapers I prefer to live among have trees all over them and snow in winter.

Stonefish

All you need to do is read Komo’s piece. It clearly says some Seattle parks that were closed since the stay at home order are reopening this weekend along with the markets. I guess I can’t take that as as truth then. My bad. Would not be the first time the media gets it wrong. Most of them get it wrong on purpose actually much of the time. I was simply stating I would not want to live where I could see a Seattle park because that would mean I had to live there. The only skyscrapers I prefer to live among have trees all over them and snow in winter.

Your original post had nothing to do with living in Seattle.
It had to do with parks and farmers markets being open in populous areas and you wanted to know why we couldn't fish.
As I pointed out multiple times, Seattle parks (populous area) weren’t closed except for Easter weekend.
You doubted me even though I live across the street from a Seattle Park, which by the way is a good distance from any skyscrapers and has a really nice saltwater beach.
You didn’t get the response you wanted to your original post due to inaccurate media coverage or your interpretation of it so you turned it into a I wouldn’t want to live in Seattle thread.

You live in a nice area. Enjoy it for all its worth.
I like the fact I can walk five minutes from my house and I can fish the saltwater when it is open.
There are a lot of things I don’t like about living here but living near Puget Sound isn’t one of them.
Thanks for admitting you were wrong about parks here being closed.
Let’s hope we can all fish soon.
SF

Last edited:

Gorgefly

Sorry I believed your inept news station:

“Many of those places were closed earlier because of the governor’s stay-at-home order.”

“The city of Seattle says all parks and beaches have reopened, but the loop trails around Green Lake and at Seward Park are only open to pedestrians. And it’s one-way.”

Ok so I’ll quote it then. What more do you want. Since you can see ONE of the parks then you must know. Apparently you don’t even know what’s going on in your own city. And yes, I was always talking about Seattle. Read my original post ...... “the most populous area in the state” yeah, you guessed it. I assumed you knew that.

Stonefish

Sorry I believed your inept news station:

“Many of those places were closed earlier because of the governor’s stay-at-home order.”

“The city of Seattle says all parks and beaches have reopened, but the loop trails around Green Lake and at Seward Park are only open to pedestrians. And it’s one-way.”

Ok so I’ll quote it then. What more do you want. Since you can see ONE of the parks then you must know. Apparently you don’t even know what’s going on in your own city. And yes, I was always talking about Seattle. Read my original post ...... “the most populous area in the state” yeah, you guessed it. I assumed you knew that.

I don’t own any news stations.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts