The Thread We Need: WA Wolf Population Up Again

Snopro

So how come if I go deer hunting I'm "trying to murder Bambi" but when wolves do it they are "controlling cervid overgrazing"?
You're talking about different groups of people. Those making the first quote probably don't understand the second.

Hunt the creek and river systems as much as possible. Hope you can thin the herd in those lands. If you happen across any cows in the water please harvest them too.

Last edited:

DavidJP

There's been quite an impact in Yellowstone after wolves were reintroduced. This YouTube video goes through a few of the unexpected consequences including a pretty big impact on the river systems

ribka

Personally, if you were to run down a deer on your own 2 legs and kill it with your own 2 hands. No guns, bows or knives I would be in favor of giving you unlimited free tags.
If you got rid of your high tech graphite rods , artificial lures, and your carbon emitting vehicles and caught fish with your bare hands after you walked or rode a bike to your fishing areas I would open up fishing early for you.

Reactions: JS

ribka

There's been quite an impact in Yellowstone after wolves were reintroduced. This YouTube video goes through a few of the unexpected consequences including a pretty big impact on the river systems

that was pretty funny. From the onion?

Heres a similar rigorous wildlife study done by Disney and was recently adopted by WDFW for hunter education classes

kamishak steve

love this video how they talk about deer, while showing nothing but elk in the footage.

DavidJP

Who knows if all the claims in that video are fully backed by peer reviewed published studies but its pretty certain there has been some changes across the ecosystem there as a result of wolf reintroduction. Its interesting to think about I think.

Its fairly easy to pull up some peer reviewed published studies so there appears to be some evidence.

I would think that wolf predation of deer could be beneficial for hunting. They are going to take out the young weak and sick in amore consistent way than hunting where a trophy is more likely to be preferred. Over a long period of time preferentially taking trophy deer is bound to decrease the prevalence of trophy deer so it might be that wolf predation would be beneficial in keeping a healthy deer population, albeit maybe at a lower overall level

bpatton

Kicked
If you got rid of your high tech graphite rods , artificial lures, and your carbon emitting vehicles and caught fish with your bare hands after you walked or rode a bike to your fishing areas I would open up fishing early for you.

Ill let you know the minute any of that gear helps me catch anything other than a buzz

Sportsman

Then we would either be called Cedar River Poachers or Gollum.

Bryce Levin

State wide the highest hunter success rate is 24.3% and that's the muzzle loaders.

Check out the success rates in Island and San Juan County... I believe there was some over 50. And yes, I know that’s a different world than a black tail on public land.

Attachments

• 81B29A9C-637B-4D60-9308-F3F415DCAA8D.png
    81B29A9C-637B-4D60-9308-F3F415DCAA8D.png
    496 KB · Views: 16

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts