Washington State Muskie Flies

james.jimenez

I am due to retire next year and I will be returning to Washington. I’m currently in South Carolina fishing for tons of warm water fish.

I know we have muskies in the lakes back home so I am getting a jump on tying up big flies.

How big should I go? Currently been tying up these 6 inch bait fish patterns. Should I go bigger? Change the colors?

Thank you in advance for your input...

1AC2B247-C52A-404A-BABB-20CAA34E107D.jpeg
B1356B9A-4C20-40FF-A418-91F50BDB61AF.jpeg

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
I am due to retire next year and I will be returning to Washington. I’m currently in South Carolina fishing for tons of warm water fish.

I know we have muskies in the lakes back home so I am getting a jump on tying up big flies.

How big should I go? Currently been tying up these 6 inch bait fish patterns. Should I go bigger? Change the colors?

Thank you in advance for your input...

View attachment 236097 View attachment 236098
Tiger Muskie Flies for Mayfield
Try this James. This is a thread in this warm water subsection of the forum from last year.

kamishak steve

Most people think you need massive flies to catch muskies, and while there are times that can help (esp in the late fall), being able to cast the fly is much much more important. Getting long and consistent casts, which allow the fish to follow the fly, get into position ands strike seems to be of greater importance that heaving a 17 inch streamer. Find a fly you can cast all day 70ft+ with lots of movement and good profile, and you'll be much better off than most.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
The short answer is any fly that you can cast all day. Personally, I absolutely love fishing my articulated 9-11+" flies & I tie them so that I CAN cast them all day easily, but by far (and it's not close) my most productive flies are in the 7-8" ish range. IMO, larger flies just aren't needed with how clear our water is out here. But it sure is cool when I'm throwing that larger profile fly and all 12 inches of it completely disappears in a tiger mouth right next to the boat.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts