Bass leader question

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I'm going to be fishing for smallmouth in the snake with a 8wt and Gallop Streamer Max long line. I'll be fishing clousers, baitfish streamers and crawdad patterners for the most part. The water is never really clear but not murky either. In some places I see people running just 4-6' of 10 or 15# flouro, like steelheading. Others suggest a 7.5' tapered leader of appropriate size. I'm gonna try both, but was wondering about other peoples preferences. I'm at about the same point with this as I was with the sliding indicator, just need a solid starting point. I'm used to tying my own leaders but I already figured out knots are bad last year.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
If the water isn’t very clear, you really don’t need fluorocarbon though it does sink fast.
Maxima Ultra Green will serve you well.
I just run a straight shot of 6-7’ of whatever I’m using rather then buying or making a taper leader.
A straight shot will cast flies like a clouser just fine.

A taper leader with a heavy butt section may work better for you if you are chucking monster flies, but for smallies I’ve never found they are really needed.

Have you considered using like a 6 wt for smallies?
SF

MGTom

WFF Supporter
If the water isn’t very clear, you really don’t need fluorocarbon though it does sink fast.
Maxima Ultra Green will serve you well.
I just run a straight shot of 6-7’ of whatever I’m using rather then buying or making a taper leader.
A straight shot will cast flies like a clouser just fine.

A taper leader with a heavy butt section may work better for you if you are chucking monster flies, but for smallies I’ve never found they are really needed.

Have you considered using like a 6 wt for smallies?
SF
Thank for the reply. Yes, I fished a 6wt all last summer. Many days not enough stick for the wind where we wanted to be fishing. We fish out of Charbonneau and Lyons Ferry a lot. I liked my sons 8wt, so I had to get one. I use a lot of Ultra Green so that sounds like a good idea to me. Keep it simple.

Slimy Deck

Hey Tom, everything Stonefish said...... I fish for smallmouths a lot, and my leader rig is the same fishing streamers for all gamefish under most circumstances fresh and salt, and is nothing fancy. Butt section 3'-4' of mono or fluoro that's of approx. stiffness to the fly line (~15-20 lb) perfection loop to loop connection to a 2'-3' tippet of appropriate size for fish and fly I'm using, usually 8 - 12 lb. Butt section lasts the trip and it's easy to change the tippet when needed.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts