Our Own Buoy

Mems

VCtYiKdl.jpg

Aloha went out with Bob on monday to check out our new private buoy. I can't show a picture, you guys might escape and hit it next weekend. The rainbow was a good omen.
iv58cMHl.jpg

Went by and started to reel up the lures, and this 80lb ahi hit my opelu lure. It took line and was about a 10 minute fight. But being ahi gave us trouble at gaff, slipped off the first gaff, but we got it back to the boat and put it on ice. I also picked up a nice mahi on bait. No Ono on the troll, but that should change next full moon.
KAJmxMul.jpg

4Gc2m12l.jpg

Had ahi belly and eggs for breakfast today, sashimi and ahi burgers last night. Now just have to decide what to have tonight. Hope you all have a great Earth Day. Nature is loving us being quarantined. Have a great day, and plant something, Mems.

bugboy9

Nice! Good times. Gaffing can get interesting. Thanks for posting for us fishless Washingtonians!

Mems

State FADS are on website with gps. We mark ours where we drop them but they have a swing on them of a couple of miles depending on the depth. So you need a visual on them. Some are submerged, some have dog collars to find them.

Mems

Had blackened ahi for dinner, lunch today will be mahi tacos. It is a shame you guys can't fish. We can surf, dive, swim, fish, anything in the water, just can't sit on a beach. No problem for me I don't sunbathe. Got a ladyfish, papio, cuda and lost a bonefish at the pond yesterday, so flyfishing is still on my list.

Merle

Nice job Mems!

Just curious, what's the purpose of putting out your own buoy? Just to mark the location of a good spot to come back to and fish? What's FADS?

thanks, andy

gt

try using your GPS and auto pilot, works everytime and far less work that a private buoy which may or may not last a season.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Nice job Mems!

Just curious, what's the purpose of putting out your own buoy? Just to mark the location of a good spot to come back to and fish? What's FADS?

thanks, andy
A FAD is a fish aggregating device (Wiki: Fish aggregating device). In Mem's case, it consist of a buoy anchored to the ocean floor. It takes advantage of the observation that open ocean fish are often attracted to floating / drifting objects.
Steve

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
So you guys can just go out and set your own buoy and then come back and check it whenever you want? Interesting. Are there any state or federal rules governing such things?

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
The guide I went with in Mexico would tie up 2 or 3 palm frans together with a bouy for a marker. He had 5 or 6, no GPS, he just knew where about they were and look for the bouys. Unfortunately the big charter boats from PV would cruise them also, because they worked so well!

Mems

State of Hawaii sets buoys, FADs for us to use. Fishermen set their own buoys and other guys find them and then it can get ugly. We chipped in and dropped this one as a group. If others fish it I don’t really care. The Coast Guard gets pissed if they are in the shipping lanes as a hazard to navigation. Right now no cruise ships and this one is not in those areas. They do the same thing in Mexico.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts