Scandi heads and polyleader?

Drifting man Grann

I have a couple quick questions about polyleader length. My Rod is a Saige one 6wt 12.6. I have an airflo 390 scandi Conpact line for it. Most of my fishing has been with the Skagit set up but this year I want to learn the Scandi.

What length and sink rate of polyleader would be best?
Do I have the right size Scandi head for my rod?

Thank you

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
I use 10’ to 12’ polyleaders on my 12’8” 6wt Burkie. Mostly just the floating and intermediate tips, and a 420gr rage head. It’s a pretty good combo.

Joshua L

I’m a fan of the 10’ ft polyleaders on a similar length rod. Floating, intermediate, sink all good. To start, casting will be easier with a sink, my favorite is the 3.2 (?) ft/ sec, I think it is airflos extra fast sink. More stick on your anchor, less blown anchors... Can’t speak to the grains on your rod but sounds about right! Have fun!

the_grube

The RIO grain guide is a good place to start when buying line for a rod http://cdn-tp2.mozu.com/15440-m1/cms/files/fb3d1409-91e4-46e7-ab20-f93481cff46f based on that chart you're right in the recommendation.

Whether or not it's easier throwing poly's I'd say depends on your casting style. If you're throwing singles and snake-rolls (splash-n-go) then mono leader and unweighted flies are eaiser to cast. If you're throwing sustained anchor casts (snap-T, double-spey, etc) then there's some advantage to having a poly leader or tip to help with the anchor.

The 10' poly seems like a good length for your rod. Get out there (if your legal jurisdiction allows it) and cast with and without the poly leader and let us know how it goes!

WAS

I fish a 10' floating Poly with a 390 Scandi Compact on my Loop Exact 12'6 6 weight, it being my favorite set up for A run fish on the Clearwater. I can't compare the Loop to your Sage but you are probably in the ballpark.

skyrise

i like the rage a little better with poly sink leaders. but then i am proably more of a sloppy caster than most guys. i do use them with my scandi just not over 10ft and then keeping it slow and trying not to cast it like its a skagit.

SpeySpaz

still an authority on nothing
You could try the 390, with an Int poly for starters. But that rod's more of a true six.
You might like a 420 compact with a mono leader better though, dryline time's a comin'.
Polys get heavier as sink rate increases, for any given length. So if the line still feels light, try a heavier poly.
For head length, try a head that's 2.5X rod length or so. Especially important if you're underhanding.
You doing sustained anchor or T&G?

Jim Darden

I have a couple quick questions about polyleader length. My Rod is a Saige one 6wt 12.6. I have an airflo 390 scandi Conpact line for it. Most of my fishing has been with the Skagit set up but this year I want to learn the Scandi.

What length and sink rate of polyleader would be best?
Do I have the right size Scandi head for my rod?

Thank you
I use the scandi line for dry line fishing only so I don't use sinking poly leaders. Some scandi lines turn over better with a poly leader and others don't. I like the Rio 14 ft poly leaders better than the Air-flo 10 ft leaders because they seem to be heavier and turn over with more authority in the wind. I like the 14 ft Air-flo monfilament leaders best if not using the poly leader.

Speyrod GB

Finding the right line may take some work. I have limited experience trying to find the right line. I have two Loomis Short Spey rods, 3 wt and 4 wt. I was told, when I was testing rods, the 4 wt would should be a 270 grain Scandi and a 330 Skagit. Not true for the way I cast.....not that well. I have tried a 300 and a 330 Scandi (integrated). They work better for me than the 270 grain. Hopefully you can find a shop or other folks who will let you test lines.

The 270 grain works well on my 3 wt. I do tend to like the SA line better than the Airflo. Both lines are integrated Scandi lines. There is a slight difference in the taper on the 2 lines. The difference is about 12 inches according to the diagrams.

I use the Airflo poly leaders. I have used an intermediate, 3.9 inch sink rate, 4.? inch sink rank and the super duper extra fast sink (6.?) on the 4wt. The super duper fast sink is the only one I noticed some casting adjustments were needed. The other poly leaders tuned over just fine. Good luck.

I use the same rod and my favorite line is the RIO Scandi short 385grn. so I would say that you are right in the wheelhouse w/ your line choice if you are an experienced Scandi or underhand caster.
I prefer a hand built leader @ 17'>20' used with touch & go casting for straight floating line work.
As far as Polyleaders, and if you are new to Scandi - underhand casting you might want to take SpeySpaz's advice.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts